dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: If there is a way to protect intellectual property / obfuscate ASP.NET sources?

Lightbulb If there is a way to protect intellectual property / obfuscate ASP.NET sources?

Hello,

Since some time investigating this painful question. Why painful? It looks like nothin of the kind does exist.

My dilemma: I would like to publish a web site by putting it to shared hosting. For that I simply need to upload all my sources to the hoster server. And of course I'm reluctant to give away all my work.

If there is a way to obfuscate somehow all the sources to such an extent that it will be impossible for anyone to understand the structure and logic, and later to modify/support/use my source anywhere else?

I heard something about conversion of ASP.NET projects to a DLL, but I cannot find any clear information on the subject.

Alternative would be to host the site at the home PC, but it's kinda inconvenient....

Maybe someone knows the solution to the problem?

Re: If there is a way to protect intellectual property / obfuscate ASP.NET sources?

If you wanna hide server-side code, don't just copy files to host server but publish your webapp to server;
    If you wanna hide client-side code, seperate javascript from HTML to js file and then use some obfuscate software to do it.

Smile Re: If there is a way to protect intellectual property / obfuscate ASP.NET sources?

Thank you for your reply,

I would simply like to hide my project sources from the hoster admins, so hide server-side code. The site should work, but if they download my sources they should not be able to make anything out of them.

Will now try to search info about publishing, not really sure what it is. Until now I simply uploaded sources with an FTP-client and it was ok. But for the my current project I'm concerned with the security questions...

Re: If there is a way to protect intellectual property / obfuscate ASP.NET sources?

You can also rent a dedicated server and simply super-secure it plus put some hidden "custom-made" (or commercial) software to track down all logins/views/etc' at/to the server so you can know if someone was inside the server. Dedicated server means a whole server for you.
    I don't have much exp with ASP.NET itself but I know something about server securing / software developing..