CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question what is used at Server side?

hi

what is used at server side in AJAX? measn JSP or what?

Post Re: what is used at Server side?

Quote Originally Posted by ujjvalpandya
    hi

it depends... I would go with ASP.NET running on W2K3, but my Java friends would probably choose something a liitle bit more open-sourced
    Best regards,
    Igor Sukhov

www.sukhov.net

Re: what is used at Server side?

Basically the entire point of AJAX is to integrate client and server side code so the developer needs to only think about the server side. As a result, the server side code is 100% vendor dependant.

Like many others' I tend to use the Microsoft implementation (which was developed under the codename 'ATLAS').
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Talking Re: what is used at Server side?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCPUWizard
    Basically the entire point of AJAX is to integrate client and server side code so the developer needs to only think about the server side. As a result, the server side code is 100% vendor dependant.
    TheCPUWizard, i must disagree with you as I successfully use ajax from a different point of view.

I use ajax in it's most simple way: to reduce overhead. I use it so I don't refresh the hole page just to show some content in the page. I use an ajax lib i wrote myself from scratch in javascript. All it does is make GET and POST calls to the server and write content received back to an specified div (or any other suitable element).

The difference? My lib is language free, you can use it with ASP, JSP, PHP, Python, Ruby on Rails, Perl, CGI or any things that runs on a webserver. I don't have to know any other language to use it, just the server side language.
    All consequences are eternal in some way.

To sum this all up into a simple answer to the original question...
    Quote Originally Posted by bubu
    ...you can use it with ASP, JSP, PHP, Python, Ruby on Rails, Perl, CGI or any things that runs on a webserver
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Bubu,

I think you may have misread the post by CPUWizard. You're response has not proven him incorrect, you've merely mentioned that you used a client side script you wrote yourself (in javascript) that handles responses from the server.

CPUWizard on the other hand, merely stated the correct - in ajax, you use javascript to talk to the server, and the server side language is purely dependant on the server/vendor configuration. It could be coldfusion, java, asp, dot net, php.

So to answer ujjvalpandya, you can use just about ANY server side language to handle requests from the client using ajax.
    David Meikle
    Quantum Unit Solutions, LLC
    www.quantumunit.com

Quote Originally Posted by dmeikle
    So to answer ujjvalpandya, you can use just about ANY server side language to handle requests from the client using ajax.
    Which was also already clarified...
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Quote Originally Posted by dmeikle
    CPUWizard on the other hand, merely stated the correct - in ajax, you use javascript to talk to the server, and the server side language is purely dependant on the server/vendor configuration. It could be coldfusion, java, asp, dot net, php.
    I'm sorry but i don't think I misunderstood. When CPUWizard says:

...integrate client and server side code so the developer needs to only think about the server side.
    He is referring to those Ajax frameworks that use some kind of serialization/translation so that the developer don't use any javascript. In those frameworks one can control client's DOM from server side. And what i wanted to state is that this is not the only way it is done. Ajax can also be used for dynamic reload-less content presentation and also dynamic interfaces that DOES require developers to know javascript, wich is the case of my ajax lib where you are required to know javascript to access client's DOM.

I hope i was clear.
    Last edited by bubu; February 7th, 2007 at 11:40 AM.
    All consequences are eternal in some way.

Igor:
    CPUWizard:
    CPUwizard was answering his question in regards to 'is it some kind of server side language' and pointing out it is language independant on the server side. i don't doubt your ability to provide a definition of ajax. I *DO* agree with you, that there's a lot more to life than compartmentalized postbacks performed by Micro$oft Atlas, and that you really SHOULD get into developing a well rounded client side framework instead (myself, I have used MS Atlas on 1 project *shudder*, and for the rest of my projects I have the pleasure of doing it all with JAVA).
    David Meikle
    Quantum Unit Solutions, LLC
    www.quantumunit.com