CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Implementing AJAX technology

I am creating an online currency translation system, using VB.net 6.0, and i was wondering whether i could use AJAX for the online part, and how do i do it?
    Last edited by __gini2; December 23rd, 2006 at 07:24 AM.

Re: Implementing AJAX technology

Simplest Solution.....

Get the .Net 3.0 runtime.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Does this mean that with the .net 3.0 runtime installed in my system, i already have ajax installed in it?

Correct me if I'm wrong (I think everyone's a newbie to AJAX at the moment), but AJAX is asynchronous Javascript and XML. All modern web browsers have these technologies installed, so essentially, everyone has AJAX! AJAX isn't its own technology, rather a combination of existing ones.

It allows you communication between client and server without getting a new web page each time, but it depends on what you're making and maybe you don't need AJAX, just standard client/server interaction.

I use www.xe.com for currency translation which doesn't use AJAX (it develops a new web page for each currency conversion request), but maybe it'd be useful.

Edited: For development I think you need the AJAX engine, more information available here: http://www.mathertel.de/AJAXEngine/
    Last edited by Nibinaear; January 31st, 2007 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Ajax Engine is not needed. It is just of a hundred ajax lib to use avaliale on internet.

I use ajax on my CMS and i started my own lib from scratch. It's much simpler and i had it on my hands.
    All consequences are eternal in some way.

Ajax is just Javascript and XML as stated by others already. However, if you want to leverage on .NET to include Ajax functionality in your web site then you need to take a look at http://ajax.asp.net.