CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Learning Assembly (Should I Do It?)

All of this is so interesting, looking around this forum ive had my first opportunity to actually see some assembly code, its pretty wild. I'm moving from the top of the pyramid to the bottom, from PHP/JavaScript etc, down to Java/C++, and now ASM, i think the only thing lower is plugging my computer into my brainstem and talking to it in 1's and 0's :P.

I think i should continue learning C++ and get somewhat of a mastery with it before i attempt ASM as it looks excrutiatingly difficult and complex, C++'s strong typing is the bane of my existance coming from PHP (where there is extremely loose or arguably no typing at all). I find myself at a fundamental disadvantage with c++ because so much knowledge is needed about how the compiler/cpu/memory works, all of which im not used to, this is why i think maybe i should fiddle around with assembly, boost my knowledge of the dirty underworkings of my big expensive voltage meter / calculator.

These days the idea of a one language programmer is obsolete i believe, to survive in the professional world you must be a man of many talents, all of the best programmers i know are masters of many languages, c, c++, c#, .NET, etc. I aspire to learn as much as i can while i can.

I guess what i'm asking is, does anyone have any suggestions for starting with ASM, or do you guys think i should put it off until i learn more c++? I run Ubuntu linux on my laptop (primary system) and compile my C++ code with the GNU compiler (gcc), i know i need more to compile ASM but im completely clueless, any help is greatly appreciated. I also do run Windows at home on a desktop that i hardly ever use if windows is easier (doubt it :P).

Thanks in Advance,
    Dave

Re: Learning Assembly (Should I Do It?)

Assembly knowledge does help in writing better high level code and a good project to take on if you have already learned a high level language pretty well. HLA might be a good entry point for you as it leverages your current understanding.

www.aoaprogramming.com