CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Annoying behavior of .net 2003

This is not a programming question, and if I posted it in the wrong forum, I apologize.

I've noticed, that .net 2003 have an annoying habit of closing code file windows that it thinks I don't use anymore. Can this be turned off somewhere?

Thanks in advance

Lars VJ

Re: Annoying behavior of .net 2003

Hi , Can you explain more the problem I don't understand clearly the request.

Thanks.
    Please use code tags [code] [/code]

We would change the world, but God won't give us the sourcecode..
    Undocumented futures are fun and useful....
    ___
    ______
    Gili

If I get you....

Try this :

In VS 2003.
    Click Tools on the Main menu of Visual Studio
    Select Environment
    Select General (under Environment)
    On the right hand side, near the bottom, you'll see a GroupBox with the heading : Docked Tool Window Behavior

See if Close Button Affects Active Tab Only is deselected, if it is deselected select it.

If it was deselected it will close all the windows when you click a close button, if it was selected, it will only close the current tab.

Is this what you mean ¿

Also try to update your IDE with the new Visual Studio 2003 SPI service pack.
    One's mistake cannot be your excuse!

Yes, a new SP might solve the problem, but when we do that in my company, it has to come from the bosses, so that everyone runs exactly the same version.

Hm...I don't know if I expresed myself correctly, so I'll try again:

I have several code files open each in it's own tab. At some point (when I have 20+ files open or so) VC .Net 2003 starts closing some of the code files without my accept. I suppose it's some sort of attempt to save memory, but it's really annoying when I have to open the file all over again (finding it in the file structure and all...). I suppose there is some sort of "save memory by closing windows that havn't been used for awhile" checkbox somewhere....

probably a very stupid question, but I'll have a go anyway just to sort it out.

Are you sure that the files are closed and not only hided from the bar that shows the different currently opened files? When the number of files reaches a certain number some tabs are hided and can be unhided be clicking the arrow at the end of the tab bar and selecting the file you want.

Please dont kill me for a silly suggestion

Regards,

Laitinen

No, because they are not visible in the "Windows" dialog (the one containing all open code files) either.

And no laitinen, I don't kill people - especially not those kind enough to help me. That fate should be reserved for lawyers, terrorists and Dark Side Jedis ;-)

Ah, I see Now.
    I honestly don't think it's a Visual Studio.NET setting that was set, Lars - if it is, then I'll be amazed..

I'm taking a very long shot here, but don't you think it can be the way your computer is set up, for example virtual memory ¿

Hm...no, I've seen it on more than one machine (my collegues complain about the same problem). My wks have 2Gb memory, but then again...I *am* running MSSQL a.k.a. Mr. Memory Eater.

But still...I mean it closes files behind my back. Not even MS Office have ever done that. I haven't seen the same happen in MS VC 6 (which I used previously). Apparently, MS added some "intelligence" (? ) to .Net 2003...

Have you considered obtaining a Profiler, such as :
    http://memprofiler.com/download.aspx

I think it may be worth a shot, download the trial, see if you get improvement, then you'll have your answer..

I hope this helps....

that might be the (only) answer. Maybe this thing will make .net behave...

/Lars