CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Talking Ideal notebook screen size for programming?

Is a 15" notebook enough for programming? I'm afraid it might cause eye stress or a monitor 15" would force low resoltution (1024x780) limiting the amount of text i can see without scrolling.

I'm a webdeveloper and when I'm programming I really to be able to see a large portion of the PHP code on screen. Also a 17" screen would be good when i need to use coreldraw and photoshop.

I never had a notebook before. I need advice from developers experienced with working notebooks.
    All consequences are eternal in some way.

Re: Ideal notebook screen size for programming?

I develop on a 12.1" iBook at 1024x768 and it doesn't bother me. You can fit a nice chuck of code on the screen that way.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

I have a 15" notebook with a resolution of 1400x1050. I can't say that i would regret that choice of spending ~200€ extra to get that resolution instead of 1024x768. There is enough space for extra documentation windows or sth like that.

Personally i would not like being stuck with 1024x768 at 15". Remember that 1024x768 at 12" corresponds to a higher res on at 15" if your concern is the textsize, but the same if you want to know how many window-space fits on screen.

Quote Originally Posted by bubu
    Is a 15" notebook enough for programming? I'm afraid it might cause eye stress or a monitor 15" would force low resoltution (1024x780) limiting the amount of text i can see without scrolling.

I'm a webdeveloper and when I'm programming I really to be able to see a large portion of the PHP code on screen. Also a 17" screen would be good when i need to use coreldraw and photoshop.

I never had a notebook before. I need advice from developers experienced with working notebooks.
    Notebooks are not made for programming - they are made for presentations.

If you're planning to do any serious development on your notie - I would strongly suggest to buy an external monitor and plug it into notebook (most of the laptops support this) on the day one.
    Best regards,
    Igor Sukhov

www.sukhov.net

Talking Re: Ideal notebook screen size for programming?

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Soukhov
    Notebooks are not made for programming - they are made for presentations.

If you're planning to do any serious development on your notie - I would strongly suggest to buy an external monitor and plug it into notebook (most of the laptops support this) on the day one.
    I think some notebooks can be used for serious programming. I'm talking about DELL XPS M2010 and Acer Aspire 9805WKHi. And serioulsy considering buying the second one =)

Quote Originally Posted by bubu
    I think some notebooks can be used for serious programming. I'm talking about DELL XPS M2010 and Acer Aspire 9805WKHi. And serioulsy considering buying the second one =)
    Could you explaing please why would you need this pricey (3 grands) 8(eight!!!) kilos monster?
    Last edited by Igor Soukhov; February 4th, 2007 at 10:52 PM.
    Best regards,
    Igor Sukhov

www.sukhov.net

Talking Re: Ideal notebook screen size for programming?

I'm a student and a professional. Where I live there isn't too much space, so I will sell my PC and buy a "portable desktop". It will be confortable for programming, doesn't takes too much space, and will offer some mobility for business presentation to my clients.

It's very comon in reviews to read descriptcion of those notebooks as portable desktops.

Com'on, 7.5kg is worth for the benefits. And notebooks weren't made to be carried long distances on your arms. And i'm tall and strong

It will replace my tv, dvd player, desktop, notebook and my weightlifting equipment! All in one!