dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: [RESOLVED] error C2662: cannot convert 'this' pointer from 'const Item' to 'Item &'

[RESOLVED] error C2662: cannot convert 'this' pointer from 'const Item' to 'Item &'

Hi guys!

The error:
    Code:
    error C2662: 'Item::GetName' : cannot convert 'this' pointer from 'const Item' to 'Item &'
    My class definition:
    Code:
    class Inventory
    {
    public:
    	Inventory(vector<Item> ITEMLIST): itemList(ITEMLIST) {}
    	inline void ListItems();
    private:
    	vector<Item> itemList;
    };
    The class member function that the error is occurring in (error line in red):
    Code:
    inline void Inventory::ListItems()
    {
    	if(itemList.empty())
    		cout << "\n\nYou have no items.";
    	else
    	{
    		vector<Item>::const_iterator iter = itemList.begin();
    		for(iter; iter != itemList.end(); ++iter)
    		{
    			cout << "\n\n";
    			cout << iter->GetName();
    		}
    	}
    }
    And the class (Item) member function that the iter is trying to access:
    Code:
    string GetName() { return name; }
    I can't get around this error.. it's beyond my knowledge I think. I've tried and I'm seeking helppppppp. If I'm missing anything out let me know!
    Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from bad judgment.
    Cosy Little Game | SDL | GM script | VLD | Syntax Hlt | Can you help me with my homework assignment?

Re: error C2662: cannot convert 'this' pointer from 'const Item' to 'Item &'

Without seeing more of your code I can't be certain, but maybe this will help:

string GetName() const { return name; }

It is always good practice to make any class member function that does not modify the contents of the class (such as GetName()) a constant.

Need add 'const'

Correct code:
    Code:
    string GetName() const { return name; }
    Regards,
    Alexander Kiselev
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/akiselev

You can only call functions marked const for the const objects!
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

It is always good practice to make any class member function that does not modify the contents of the class (such as GetName()) a constant.
    Sorry, I forgot when I was making the class. I have made other const member functions I swear. :x

I don't understand... the objects iter were accessing weren't const... can someone please explain to me WHY it's giving me this error... I am a beginner so go easy with the exclamation marks... *hints at cilu*. Something that seems trivial and petty to you guys is a whole new thing to me.
    Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from bad judgment.
    Cosy Little Game | SDL | GM script | VLD | Syntax Hlt | Can you help me with my homework assignment?

Quote Originally Posted by Mybowlcut
    Sorry, I forgot when I was making the class. I have made other const member functions I swear. :x

I don't understand... the objects iter were accessing weren't const... can someone please explain to me WHY it's giving me this error... I am a beginner so go easy with the exclamation marks... *hints at cilu*. Something that seems trivial and petty to you guys is a whole new thing to me.
    Yes it was:
    Code:
    vector<Item>::const_iterator iter = itemList.begin();
    Should I suggest a good C++ book?
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

HAHA! Now THAT'S embarrassing! Hahahahaha... ohhh dear. Oh, Cilu, you break my heart with your book suggestions. I'm trying my hardest to learn, honest! But... I guess I do frequent this page more than a beginner should... since you're one of the guys who is always correcting me, suggest one that stands out of that list (I've seen that list a few times) and I'll buy it. I guess the game programming books don't work as well. :P

Young padawan, I have two lessons for you:
    1. learn to pay attention, and don't jump to rushed conclusions
    2. learn the first rule first

Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Star Wars, right? I haven't watched that many of those haha... I do try my hardest to pay attention. But whenever I'm here I get the feeling I'm making myself sound REALLY stupid... oh I guess that's jumping to a rushed conclusion? Or is it? Damnit!

Quote Originally Posted by Mybowlcut
    You should also pass your objects by reference or const reference, not by value.

Your constructor is being passed a vector by value. That means that the compiler will make a temporary copy, which could make your program much slower.
    Code:
    Inventory(const vector<Item>& ITEMLIST): itemList(ITEMLIST) {}
    Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Oops. Cheers for that, Paul.