CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Reading in a .MSG file created from OutLook

Hello,

I have written VB.Net code that will read a users outlook inbox and searches for messages that contain a particular string in the subject line and then move those emails to another folder in outlook.

Recently I have had to create a small app that does the same thing except it saves the emails in the .MSG format and places them on the network drive.

What I can't figure out is how do I get the outlook object to see the network drive after the fact.

After the emails are saved in the MSG format on the network, I have to create another application that will reside on users computers that will use their outlook to read these files again.

I can easily attach to an existing outlook folder and read what is in it but the network drive path is not an outlook folder and never will be.

Anyone have any suggestions? links? examples?

Oh and I am using Outlook 2000 (not outlook express) and using VB.Net 2002
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Dasboot; March 8th, 2007 at 06:15 PM.

LA. California Raiders #1 AKA: Gangsta Yoda™

Re: Reading in a .MSG file created from OutLook

Use .CreateItemFromTemplate passing the network path where your msg file is located.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™)
    VB Forums - Super Moderator 2001-Present

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Please use [code]your code goes in here[/code] tags when posting code.

Senior Software Engineer MCP, BSEE, CET
    VS 2012 Premium, VS 6.0 Enterprise SP6, VSTO, Office Ultimate 2010, Windows 7 Ultimate
    Star Wars Gangsta Rap SE Reputations & Rating Posts Office Primary Interop AssembliesAdvanced VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETAdvanced VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6Outlook Global Address ListVB6/Crystal Report Ex.VB6/CR Print Setup Dialog Ex.

Re: Reading in a .MSG file created from OutLook

Use MSG .NET http://www.independentsoft.de/msg

- Simon