Hi,

I am creating a web app with VB.NET 1.1 using AJAX. I was wondering if there is a better way to handle events than what I am doing, without downloading an ajax framework.

My method:
Each button on web form calls javascript that creates an xml fragment and posts it to a class that handles ajax requests for the page.
XML:
Code:
<AjaxRequest>
     <Command>Foo</Command>
     <Params>
          <Param name="param1">Bar</Param>
          <Param name="param2">Again</Param>
     </Params>
</AjaxRequest>
The code on the server pulls out the command field and runs it through a select case to determine which function to call.

Code:
Imports System.Web
Imports System.Xml

Public Class Ajax
    Implements IHttpHandler

Public ReadOnly Property IsReusable() As Boolean Implements System.Web.IHttpHandler.IsReusable
        Get
            Return True
        End Get
    End Property

'Here is where the action is...
    Public Sub ProcessRequest(ByVal context As System.Web.HttpContext) Implements System.Web.IHttpHandler.ProcessRequest
        Dim xmlDoc As XmlDocument

'If the XML document was submitted via post method, then load it in the DOM document
        If (context.Request.InputStream.Length > 0 And context.Request.ContentType.ToString().IndexOf("/xml") > 0) Then
            xmlDoc = New XmlDocument
            xmlDoc.Load(context.Request.InputStream)

Select Case xmlDoc.GetElementsByTagName("Command").Item(0).InnerText
                Case "Bar"
                    Call Bar()
                Case "Func2"
                    Call Func2()
                Case "HelloWorld"
                    Call HelloWorld()
                    ...etc...
            End Select

End If
    End Sub

Public Sub Bar()
        'Get params, do some work, and return something in the Response...
    End Sub
End Class
Instead of this select case, are there better methods? It just seems like there should be...

Thanks,

Ranthalion