CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nature of work in C++?

I have been thinking about it and got curious to know what kind of work others do in C++. The nature of work can be categorized in many ways:
    • Fresh development (from scratch)
    • Development (owing to enhancements requests and maintenance, bug fixes etc)
    • Pure Maintenance and bug fixing
    • Support (but you do take a look at C++ code and suggest changes to your development team)
    Also, what domain do you touch upon (or your target industry) if you are doing application development:
    • Communications/Networking/Systems
    • Financial services/Insurance
    • Pharmaceutics
    • Airline
    • Generic libraries for specific application development
    • Games
    • Tools and products of your own
    Many more...

Can I request you to choose from the first list and describe a little about the work and choose from the second or if it is not listed (I am a little lazy, sorry ) add that information in your post? I am not trying to force you to tell that, it's just that I have become curious as to what is the nature of work that people do.

Anything else, that you have seen around you happening - you can discuss that as well... Feel free to pour in!

Thanks very much for sharing (in advance). Cheers!

Re: Nature of work in C++?

For the first list, development of new things, and maintainance (which obviously includes bugfixing) of existing code. As what you call support, we call review.

You ask about the field/domain of activity. My company does embedded applications for the automotive industry, but I'm not into that, but into providing them with tool they use to do their work.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

I am working on a development project which is almost 7 years old and in market for last 4-5 years. My work touches domains like Security, Systems, Client/Server, Networking etc.

I think this discussion should be taken to "General Developer discussion" thread.
    Regards,
    Ramkrishna Pawar

[ redirected ]
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Quote Originally Posted by exterminator
    • Support (but you do take a look at C++ code and suggest changes to your development team)
    I would need to choose all of the above - fresh development for a newer version and maintenance for an older one.
    Also, what domain do you touch upon (or your target industry) if you are doing application development:
    • Pharmaceutics
    • Airline
    • Games
    I guess, "Tools" come close - but for a domain, Software Deployment would be it.
    Last edited by Siddhartha; April 3rd, 2007 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Typo

Well, I have been working in a mix of all the above. But I liked work where I did not have to clean the dirt in legacy codes. Currently, I have been involved in the financial industry where there a mix of kind of work I do. I like this domain but at times, I don't appreciate the work that I do. But I guess, sometimes in a year there a few months where you need to get involved in such tasks.
    Quote Originally Posted by cilu
    You ask about the field/domain of activity. My company does embedded applications for the automotive industry, but I'm not into that, but into providing them with tool they use to do their work.
    What kind of tools do you write Cilu, I mean, what is the span of their development starting from where you recognized a need till you delivered a usable product? Who is the requirement initiator in that case?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    I guess, "Tools" come close - but for a domain, Software Deployment would be it.
    I recall you saying that you were working on .Net technologies lately. Is the deployment related to that? What kind of deployment exactly? I mean, web related or desktop applications or servers or something else and huge? Don't want to intrude too much in your work but just some hints. Also, when you say Software Deployment - how much of a coding job is that? To me deployment has been meaningful in 2 ways (that I actually have done for my projects) - web applications (ASP.NET and Java), desktop applications (database servers, individual clients, etc) and packaging stuff into an installer. I remember at one organization that I worked for there was a specific process for deploying latest release of application into their production environment. Is that close to what you told or am I guessing far away from it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Krishnaa
    I am working on a development project which is almost 7 years old and in market for last 4-5 years. My work touches domains like Security, Systems, Client/Server, Networking etc.
    Krishnaa, when you say security - I am guessing something like worm intrusions on machines (anti-virus softwares) or security of internal applications in an organizations behind a firewall or applications outside the firewall interacting with data stores and processes inside the firewall. Is that close enough? What kind of applications are those? Executables, libraries/APIs or something else?

I recall you saying that you were working on .Net technologies lately. Is the deployment related to that?
    Yes... Some of the deployment tools are in .NET (some are native C++ Applications) and many of the applications deployed are .NET applications.
    What kind of deployment exactly?
    Windows Software Deployment at enterprise levels.
    Also, when you say Software Deployment - how much of a coding job is that?
    Many person-years of development, actually.

To me deployment has been meaningful in [...] packaging stuff into an installer.
    Yes, the installer itself - that is also what I help develop.
    Last edited by Siddhartha; April 3rd, 2007 at 03:19 AM.

Krishnaa, when you say security - I am guessing something like worm intrusions on machines (anti-virus softwares) or security of internal applications in an organizations behind a firewall or applications outside the firewall interacting with data stores and processes inside the firewall. Is that close enough? What kind of applications are those? Executables, libraries/APIs or something else?
    Current one is a biometric authentication system, we add fingerprint/face options to password for windows (SSO, Interactive) authentication, there are over 30 executables (including COMs, SDK Libraries, services, various type of plugins and standalone executables).
    Regards,
    Ramkrishna Pawar

In about 12 years of C++ programming, 10% was writing code for financial and medical software applications.
    The rest of 90%, were just...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ovidiucucu; May 21st, 2007 at 06:06 AM.
    Ovidiu
    "When in Rome, do as Romans do."
    My latest articles: https://codexpertro.wordpress.com/

All of the above, although very little is completely from scratch these days as I rely heavily on libaries that I have written over the years...

• Communications/Networking/Systems - Developed one of the first WAP (Wireless Access Protocol) compilers, custom networking protocols for industrial automation
    • Financial services/Insurance - Trade/Fund Tracking Systems, Insurance Background Validation Systems
    • Pharmaceutics - Insurance Authorization / Drug Evaluation System for largest provider to independant pharmacies in the New York area.
    • Airline - Onboard/Embedded systems.
    • Generic libraries for specific application development - Varied, currently supporting native C++ libraries/toolkits and Managed Code (.Net) environments.
    • Tools and products of your own - Typically sold or licesed to client companies. Nothing currently on the "mass market".

Games is the one item I struck from the list.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Quote Originally Posted by TheCPUWizard
    Games is the one item I struck from the list.
    I don't ever read this forum but.. what do you mean? You have developed games?
    Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from bad judgment.
    Cosy Little Game | SDL | GM script | VLD | Syntax Hlt | Can you help me with my homework assignment?

Quote Originally Posted by Mybowlcut
    I don't ever read this forum but.. what do you mean? You have developed games?
    No, I meant the exact opposite. I have done just about everything user the sun (plus a few systems that literally left the Solar System ) except for games.

Very little of game development is really hard core programming. The skill sets range from graphic artists to role/scenario developers. These are what make great games, but are not skills I posses.

I really don't even play games on the computer, maybe 5-10 hours/year. On the other hand, my eldest son [27] is the consumate gamer. Liquid/Gas cooled systems, traveling around the country to games (before the grandkids were born), etc.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

All of the below...

My work is based around image capture and analysis in postal sorting systems. I am involved in both software algorithm developement and hardware interfacing.

Fresh development and support. I do inhouse development of 3D modelling and animation tools for a digital media company (www.artem-digital.com). Its only me and one other programmer so we do the whole development cycle even most of the requirements! Our latest project may be going on sale to the "mass" market, but the target audience will be fairly small.
    Very little of game development is really hard core programming. The skill sets range from graphic artists to role/scenario developers. These are what make great games, but are not skills I posses.
    What is your definition of hard-core programming? Some areas are what I would call hard-core, e.g. AI, graphics, physics. I hear coding MMORPGs is pretty hardcore in network management. Most modern games programming is about getting the maximum amount of realism out of the processing bandwidth available in a single frame. This precludes extremely complex solutions and algorithms, but it encourages clever short cuts and ingenious algorithm design.

I have been thinking about it and got curious to know what kind of work others do in C++. The nature of work can be categorized in many ways:
    As I work for a relatively small company, I actually do all 4 - though I should add that I tend to write new applications in C# now. Mostly I do what you called 'Development', and that's mostly in C++.

• Pharmaceutics
    • Airline
    • Games
    Many more...
    I work on software which is used in a shop via a touch screen and on supporting programs which run in the background.
    Last edited by Zaccheus; June 6th, 2007 at 11:32 AM.
    My hobby projects:
    www.rclsoftware.org.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast