CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Arrow Suggestions: DELL Outlet Checker

The site is here

Actually I have already made a program that does it: automatically refresh the site and look for items that meets some criteria, eg. price, specs, ect, and automatically add them to cart. Now I just want to improve on the speed, the refreshing part seem slow since I am using the .Refresh method of the webbrowser control.

There are apps out there that do such and they are fast, they could refresh for a few time per second. Though they don't necessarily update the page being viewed by the user.

An idea is to 'pre-search' the site and look for matching items, if there are then load the page, select the items then add them to cart. Or select the items, add them to cart then let it be viewed by the user.

Can I use HTTPRequest object for this? I am not oriented of the ways to do this, perhaps there is some sort of 'hack' or other means to search the site a few times per second?

I am also contemplating on using Threading though I don't know if it would help and how would I do it.

I'll appreciate your suggestions...

TIA
    Intelligent people talks because they have something to say,
    Fools talk because they have to say something....

Re: Suggestions: DELL Outlet Checker

Quote Originally Posted by d-u
    There are apps out there that do such and they are fast, they could refresh for a few time per second.
    Cant wait for the web admin to deem your activity as DOSing and ban your IP.. Hitting a website 170,000 times per day? I'd run software to ban client that are so badly behaved.

I'll appreciate your suggestions...

TIA
    Put yourself in the webmaster's shoes.. What would you do with some little skript kiddie who was hammering your server?

Leave your app 1 minute between refreshes, that way youre only hitting it 1440 times per day - 1% of the previous DOS attack you were carrying out.
    "it's a fax from your dog, Mr Dansworth. It looks like your cat" - Gary Larson...DW1: Data Walkthroughs 1.1...DW2: Data Walkthroughs 2.0...DDS: The DataSet Designer Surface...ANO: ADO.NET2 Orientation...DAN: Deeper ADO.NET...DNU...PQ