CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Unhappy mfc80.dll & msvcr80.dll problem

I have downloaded a microcontroller Development software from Atmel, and during installation I got the message that some dlls failed to register. Seeing those dlls with Dependancy Walker, I found that they need mfc80.dll & msvcr80.dll, that I have not (I have MS Visual Studio 6).
    I found those dlls in the Internet, but they can't be "installed" by regsvr32.
    Does anybody knows what can I do to "install" them?
    (Atmel Support page is ... empty)

Re: mfc80.dll & msvcr80.dll problem

What do you mean "they can't be "installed" by regsvr32?" Are you getting an error message?
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Those DLLs do not "need to be installed" via regsvr32.

They are Visual C++ libraries (the MFC and CRT assemblies from VS2005, to be precise). They should work fine if you put them into your System32 folder and try to run the application that needs them.

Of course, if you try and run the application, what error, if any, does it give you?

You can get them in an install package here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...DisplayLang=en

Edit: By the way, those DLLs do not end up residing in normal \windows\system32, they end up in \windows\WinSxS\ and a bit oddly named subdirectories.
    Last edited by S_M_A; May 23rd, 2007 at 05:08 PM.

Thumbs up Re: mfc80.dll & msvcr80.dll problem

S M A was right. I installed the VS2005 run time library and everything was fine.
    When I was trying to install the software, the response was that some dlls (those using mfc80 etc) could not be registered.
    The simple presance of mfc80 in system32 or/and in installed exe path, did not made any difference.
    Regsvr32 was giving a message that could not register the dlls because some information was missing.
    Thank you all for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by S_M_A
    Edit: By the way, those DLLs do not end up residing in normal \windows\system32, they end up in \windows\WinSxS\ and a bit oddly named subdirectories.
    Hrm... they're both in my System32 folder, and both have multiple copies in multiple folders in WinSxS.

I found them in the former, hence why I suggested it.

Strange, I only have them in SxS. I checked the registry and the files are registered under a key named side by side. Might be since I have both Studio 2005 and 6.0 installed? (I know but some clients still run 6.0...)

Also, I now noticed that x86_Microsoft.Tools.VisualCPlusPlus.Runtime-Libraries... contain atl.dll, mfc42.dll, mfc42u.dll & msvcp60.dll so it might be an MS attempt to solve the "DLL-hell".

I have VB 6.0 and VS2005 installed (in the order of VS2005 then VB6).

I see a reference to mfc80.dll and msvcr80.dll in the registry under:
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls
    And both point to the DLLs in System32.

But I also see the the keys pointing to the WinSxS folder under the SideBySide key. But nowhere else do I find any mention of those DLLs beyond those two locations.

Weird.