dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Vista & DRM Software

Vista & DRM Software

Hey guys! Not sure where to ask this..

I've made an interesting observation, but I am very curious as to know the reason behind it..

I have this Celine Dion CD.

The problem I used to have was that this CD did not work on any of my previous PCs, I tried it on Windows 98, XP ; and it did not work. I always thought it was because of the ( Digital Rights Management ) Software, that I thought was on the CD..

Now, with Vista, it works, the cd plays on my pc.

I'm using Media Player 11, BTW

Can anyone tell me why

Just curious..
    Last edited by HanneSThEGreaT; June 19th, 2007 at 09:52 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All my Articles
    Hannes

Re: Vista & DRM Software

Is it a data CD containing audio files protected by DRM, or an audio CD?
    An audio CD cannot have a DRM protection. Consequently, audio CD can be read by any CD-ROM reader on any platform.

If it's a data CD-ROM with an ISO-9660 table of contents, then, files may be encrypted and only specific software can decode it (the simpliest form of DRM would be that some software or hardware knows a fixed set of keys to decode the files), knowing that, such a software cannot be Open Source, as it would be easy, for anybody, to modify the software to make it extract the data and store it in a regular file. Closed source software may be reverse engineered and cracked, but that is illegal in many countries.

If you want to use properly your music, copy it on your HD or on your mp3 reader, or play them on a DRM-unaware player, because Media Player is not the best one... Then, avoid DRM-ized documents.
    "inherit to be reused by code that uses the base class, not to reuse base class code", Sutter and Alexandrescu, C++ Coding Standards.
    Club of lovers of the C++ typecasts cute syntax: Only recorded member.

Out of memory happens! Handle it properly!
    Say no to g_new()!

Thanx for your great response!
    It's the original CD, on it there is a little sticker that says that it will not play on PC / Mac.

And it didn't play on any of my machines, until Vista.
    So, I'm not sure why
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All my Articles
    Hannes

PeejAvery is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

CD audio cannot have DRM. DRM is built into various sound formats such as mp4 and aac. An audio CD is burned with standard PCM audio codec to bring it to CDDA format.

I am baffled because...there is no reason why a CD should not play on other computers.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

OK, it makes sense, now I understand DRM ( finally )

I'm also a bit stumped, as to why it did not work. That's what I thought, it should work..
    Let me do an experiment and bring that cd to work, to establish whether it works or not on my XP machine at work.

It's not really a big deal, I'm just curious
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All my Articles
    Hannes

Actually it's probably not a real Red Book audio CD (check it, the sticker shouldn't have the logo)
    This usually means that the error correction cannot be applied in the same way and that it appears as a scratched CD to computer CD drives. I don't think it has necessarily something to do with Vista, but rather with a newer CD drive.
    Get this small utility to do basic syntax highlighting in vBulletin forums (like Codeguru) easily.
    Supports C++ and VB out of the box, but can be configured for other languages.

I never thought of it being the cd drive, just shows I always get too complicated!

Thanx Yves, I'll have a look on a different machine, with a quite new CD rom as well
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All my Articles
    Hannes

It must be the new CD drive, not Windows Vista.
    Regards,
    Ramkrishna Pawar

Yip, it was the new drive. Silly me .

Thanx guys!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All my Articles
    Hannes

I had a simular problem when 80 min CD's came out (remember the first cd's were 72min). I printed a 80min cd with some audio tracks, my HIFI could read and play it no problem, but the older computer kept saying no disk loaded..

Some PC Drives just cant read newer formats..

Something else to note: Some where I read that PC Drives Always read the CD's Data track (Short track of Disk identifing data) normally stored in block -1 (or before 1st track) where as a HIFI CD simply checks for the exsistence of the track and jumps to block 0 and starts to play..

Reason Been, A HIFI Cd player is a simple hardware DAC and does not understand anything on that track..

Gremmy..
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.