CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] Watching collection data using immediate window

i have made one collection suppliers.and collection to collect all supplier data cSuppliers.i want to
    see collection data using immediate window.Can anybody tell me .How should i see collection value using immediate window.any help would be Greatly appreciated.when i type ?m_cEmployees.Item(1) in a immediate window i got error
    object does not support this property of method.Kindly find the attachment also.any help would be greatly appreciated.

[code=vb]
    ?m_cEmployees.Item(1)

[/code]

Re: Watching collection data using immediate window

Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Form_Load()
    Dim C As New Collection
    C.Add "Test"
    End Sub
    Code:
    ?c(1)
    Test
    ?c.Item(1)
    Test
    Which tells me that you have not initialized your collection.

Good Luck

Click MANAGE ATTACHMENTS on the bottom of the REPLY page. Browse for your ZIP file, click UPLOAD, then save the message.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Go Advanced

To understand more of your collection:
    What type of items do you add to it? Is it simple strings or are they objects of more complex nature?

You can't see the whole value of all the members of your collection. This isn't VB.Net, which does have a .ToString method which will return collection data
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    You can't see the whole value of all the members of your collection. This isn't VB.Net, which does have a .ToString method which will return collection data
    Forget all this discussion. I have already shown him picture by picture how to watch values in a collection how to build up a collection how to read data and all that. But Instead of doing what I told him he wants things which are not usual in VB. For example he wants to see the pointers to the heap and he adresses the items with the internal structure data instead with the real key...
    Firoz as already told 100 times or more ( really ) Use
    m_cemployees and not m_cemployees.Item(3)
    Your Items have Keys like E1, E2,... E155 and the collection class Item property waits for a string which starts with 'E'
    And if you want to see the items look into the debugger one item after the other within your collection class
    Here in this inner collection ( mCol as Collection ) the items are numbered from one to n logically.
    But simple open the items with the + sign and you can watch every single item. Look at the screenshots I did for you and DUPLICATE whats going on.
    Jonny Poet

To be Alive is depending on the willingsness to help others and also to permit others to help you. So lets be alive. !
    Using Code Tags makes the difference: Code is easier to read, so its easier to help. Do it like this: [CODE] Put Your Code here [/code]
    If anyone felt he has got help, show it in rating the post.
    Also dont forget to set a post which is fully answered to 'resolved'. For more details look to FAQ's about Forum Usage. BTW I'm using Framework 3.5 and you ?
    My latest articles :
    Creating a Dockable Panel-Controlmanager Using C#, Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    Can't you use the Item property of the collection ¿

ToString is only a Conversion function, nothing special really...

EDIT: Didn't see your post Johann, great post as usual

Here we have a similar collection ( suppliers instead of employees but both collections are basically out of the same program) where he is also bothering me, he cannot look at the items. What he doesn't understand is, that in the collection the items are named item1 item2 ... but as we see in the example the items Key is not '1' or '2' its 'S1', 'S2' in that case.
    He knows how to look at that items in the way I'm showing in my picture as I have done a picture by picture lesson for him explaining all that stuff which has needed me some hours only for that.

I dont understand any reason, why it is not enough for him to look each needed item in the collection. The main reason he doesn't understand is why he cannot simple watch m_Suppliers.Item(1) when the debuger shows an Item1 and he needs instead of that
    a) look into the whole collection and open the needed item or
    b) debugging m_Suppliers.Item("S1") respectivly in his actual request m_Employees.Item("E1")

Its such simple, there is no other difficulty in that.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JonnyPoet; July 17th, 2009 at 09:34 AM.
    Jonny Poet

To be Alive is depending on the willingsness to help others and also to permit others to help you. So lets be alive. !
    Using Code Tags makes the difference: Code is easier to read, so its easier to help. Do it like this: [CODE] Put Your Code here [/code]
    If anyone felt he has got help, show it in rating the post.
    Also dont forget to set a post which is fully answered to 'resolved'. For more details look to FAQ's about Forum Usage. BTW I'm using Framework 3.5 and you ?
    My latest articles :
    Creating a Dockable Panel-Controlmanager Using C#, Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7

Quote Originally Posted by HanneSThEGreaT View Post
    Can't you use the Item property of the collection ¿

ToString is only a Conversion function, nothing special really...

EDIT: Didn't see your post Johann, great post as usual
    You can see ONE item in a debug.print statement, but not the whole list, as you can in Net. By .ToString, I meant defining your own string (which could include a loop to show all items)
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

I don't understand what you mean David Mind showing an example of what you mean, because I don't get what you are trying to illustrate with ToString.