CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: vb.net api

vb.net api

In vb6 i could use api functions to say reboot a machine or open a word doc from a VB app.

In vb.net how do i do those things as it has changed. There are no api commands now .

Re: vb.net api

Who said there are no API commands? There are API commands still available using DllImoprt.

However, some of the tasks have been made quite easy. You can now use Process Class instead of shell execute to open a Word file or Restart the system.

LA. California Raiders #1 AKA: Gangsta Yoda™

In casae you want to open the word doc and make modifications on it, I also replied with code on your VBF thread.

http://vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=479949
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™)
    VB Forums - Super Moderator 2001-Present

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Please use [code]your code goes in here[/code] tags when posting code.

Senior Software Engineer MCP, BSEE, CET
    VS 2012 Premium, VS 6.0 Enterprise SP6, VSTO, Office Ultimate 2010, Windows 7 Ultimate
    Star Wars Gangsta Rap SE Reputations & Rating Posts Office Primary Interop AssembliesAdvanced VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETAdvanced VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6Outlook Global Address ListVB6/Crystal Report Ex.VB6/CR Print Setup Dialog Ex.

Shuja is correct, as always The API is still around, it must be. It is just the whole implementation of it that has changed, and the fact that .NET has built in many of those APIs already.
    You can also have a look at this article, comparing VB 6 and .NET 's way of implementing the API :
    Discovering the API Using Visual Basic 6 and Visual Basic .NET