CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

AJAX oddities...

Hello, I have two questions:

One) I'm using the MaskedEditExtenders from the Ajax Control Toolkit to help validate some input. The masks work well for when typing input, but when the ASP:Button wants to start doing some work with the input, any validation messages that were displayed are removed. I'm still checking for valid and complete input on the server side, but I'd rather have the AJAX validation messages remain. Any suggestions?

Two) I want to add a hidden field to pass some data to a javascript, but when I add an asp:hiddenfield to anywhere on the page, when I click the button (to do some work), I get a messagebox that says "Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: An unknown error occurred while processing the request on the server. The status code returned from the server was: 500"

Thanks

Update: the application eventlog says:

Exception information:
    Exception type: HttpRequestValidationException
    Exception message: A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (ctl00$MainPlaceHolder$reportField="<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>E...")."

Which is the name of the hidden field and the hidden field should contain that HTML.
    Last edited by KBTibbs; August 1st, 2007 at 12:11 PM.

Re: AJAX oddities...

Ah... Figured # 2 out. ASP.Net is trying to protect me from myself (and injection exploits).

To fix, I added <%@ Page validateRequest="false" %>.

# 1 is still confusing me though...