CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

About Java Certification Exams

Hello all.

I decided apply for SCJP test.

How should i study to pass this exam?

At the moment i have no time and availability to go to a certification course.

I am thinking to study by myself at the moment. Can anyone tell me what skills will be needed to pass this test?

And the last question;

Will taking this certificate help me in my future life?

Thanks for advices from now
    My code does not work

dlorde is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: About Java Certification Exams

Quote Originally Posted by gokhan
    I decided apply for SCJP test.
    Will taking this certificate help me in my future life?
    You decided to take the test without knowing what skills you needed, how to study for it, or even whether it might be any use? The decision was based on what?

If you don't have time to take a course, how are you going to find time to teach yourself? Learning this stuff takes time, and teaching yourself will probably take a lot longer than doing a structured and organised course...

You can take the Sun courses online, or from CD-ROM, or from an instructor. Alternatively, you can find other commercial courses, or if you really think you can teach yourself quicker, you can find the stuff online - there may even be guides available, try some searches. For the basics, the Java Tutorial is a good place to start.

The skills needed are described on the Sun site: Fundamentals of the Java Programming Language, If you're doing Java 5, you'll need to know the additional stuff that changed in Java 5. For full details, see SCJP Certification Preparation.

The truth is, when all is said and done, one does not teach a subject, one teaches a student how to learn it. Teaching may look like administering a dose, but even a dose must be worked on by the body if it is to cure. Each individual must cure his or her own ignorance...
    J. Barzun.
    Last edited by dlorde; August 12th, 2007 at 04:48 PM.
    Please use [CODE]...your code here...[/CODE] tags when posting code. If you get an error, please post the full error message and stack trace, if present.

Thanks dlorde as always.

Well; let's say not "decided". Let's say "i'm about to decide". And some percent of my decision will be based on what is written on codeguru as an advice.

As for studying; i have been working with Java about 8 months and have taken classes about object oriented programming exc. I worked on the link you gave and i read and studied a lot of books about Java

I just did not know what about the test will be.

When i look at the link that you gave to me; i can't see any topic that i do not know.

Thanks for advice
    My code does not work

dlorde is offline Elite Member Power Poster

If you are looking for work as a Java programmer, look at the job adverts and ask the employers who are recruiting exactly what they are looking for. They are the people who know whether a qualification will help.

I would guess it's better to have qualifications than not to, but the ones to get will depend on what you want to do.

Shall I tell you the secret of the true scholar? It is this: every man I meet is my master in some point, and in that I learn of him...
    R.W. Emerson
    Please use [CODE]...your code here...[/CODE] tags when posting code. If you get an error, please post the full error message and stack trace, if present.