CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Project Tracking

We used Sharepoint to share and route (for approval) unit test documents, client spec documents, change request forms, etc. But, it's hard to link all these projects together. If I need to know what UT doc goes with what Client Spec doc, I'll have to do it manually or track it myself. We haven't been able to do that with the system.

Can anyone share how you track projects particularly the deliverables for each project, etc.? Do you use software or do you do this manually? What software/s do you use?

Re: Project Tracking

There are traceability management software to do this work; like one from Serena.

However the added cost of the SW and additional learning can be justified only if the project is a large one or e.g. there are many projects.

Most of the time I have done manual tracing and that is what I have seen others doing as well. One paradigm is to put a header in each document (like a table) that records the IDs/location of these other documents. e.g. this table may record ids of the spec, design and test documents and can be put in the document template.
    Say no to supplying ready made code for homework/work assignments!!

Please rate this post!

I would like to say you try this Test Management Tool called Zephyr, it has all the project tracking features you are looking for.

Project Tracking

To track any project we have two options for incorporating that progress in your project. We can enter actual information manually to obtain actual information form team members that you then incorporate into your project. There are also several tracking methods you can choose form the different article.

Manually

But it depends on project size, budget and work & study willing.

With product lifecycle management [PLM ](configuration management, project planning & requirements management):
    Tools like DOORS/ERS, RequisitePro, Enovia. SmartTeam, ClearCase, ClearQuest, TeamCenter.

With document workflow:
    Sharepoint (as mentioned), InfoPath, Groove, LotusNotes etc

With concurrent version system [CVS]:
    Tools like Subversion, PVCS, WInCVS etc.

With dynamic progressing:
    Tools like Wiki, Intranet CMS like Typo3 or DSM Tools like MetaEdit+.

In some cases direct reference or link in tools like:
    MS Project or Excel.
    Yeah! Your code is so sexy!