CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Can I run my .NET Application without the .NET Framework?

Q: Can I run my .NET Application without .NET?

A: No you cannot. The .NET Framework must be installed in the Client machine, in order to run.

Q: Why Not?

A: The answer is quite simple really. All the .Net libraries you call within your code are not compiled into your assembly, and you need these assemblies in the destination machine, in order for it to run.

A program compiled in C# or VB is not a program in native code, it is a "pre" compilation in a Intermediate Language (MSIL). When you run this "program" the .NET Runtime, makes the final compilation to native code for the platform on which it is executed - this is called Just In Time compiling.

Q: Can I run my application which was built with a newer .NET Framework ( for example .NET 2.0, .NET 3.0, .NET 3.5 ) on a machine that has a lower .NET Framework ( for example .Net Framework 1.1 ) installed?

A: No, you cannot, you will need to install the latest .NET Framework

Q: Which Operating Systems have the .NET Framework installed already?

A: What version of the .NET Framework is included in what version of the OS?

Q: How can I install the particular .NET Framework on the Client Machine ?

A: You can find the Redistributable Packages here

Q: How can I install the .NET Framework along with my Application, at the same time?

A: Deploying the .NET Framework in a setup package

Q: Which .NET Framework will my application use, if multiple .NET Frameworks are present?

A: Because an application was built in a particular version of the .NET Framework, it will know to use that specific version. For example, if an application was built with .NET Framework 2.0, it knows it should use .NET Framework 2.0; if an application was built with .NET Framework 1.1, it knows it should utilise the .NET Framework 1.1
    Last edited by HanneSThEGreaT; November 16th, 2007 at 01:15 AM. Reason: More Info

Re: Can I run my .NET Application without the .NET Framework?

Q: Can I run my application which was built with a newer .NET Framework ( for example .NET 2.0, .NET 3.0, .NET 3.5 ) on a machine that has a lower .NET Framework ( for example .Net Framework 1.1 ) installed?

I do not agree. I build my app on .net framework 3.5 and distribute it with 2.0. Because I know core is the same.

Re: Can I run my .NET Application without the .NET Framework?

With VS 2008, you have an option to create an application for a certain Framework. All the other Visual Studios don't