CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] Modify TextBox PasswordChar value using a Checkbox

Hi All,

I have been trying to add a checkbox which will allow the password in a text box to be masked / unmasked.

I have a text box named:

Text_CSS_Password

and a checkbox named:

Check_CSS_MaskPass

I want the PasswordChar value of the Text_CSS_Password to be set as "#" when the Check_CSS_MaskPass is checked (Value = 1) and to be set as " " (Blank) when Check_CSS_MaskPass is unchecked (Value = 0).

The code i am using is:
    Code:
    Private Sub Check_CSS_MaskPass_Click()
    If Check_CSS_MaskPass.Value = "1" Then Text_CSS_Password.PasswordChar = "#"
    If Check_CSS_MaskPass.Value = "0" Then Text_CSS_Password.PasswordChar = " "
    End Sub
    I have also tried:
    Code:
    If Check_CSS_MaskPass.Value = "1" Then Text_CSS_Password.PasswordChar.Value = "#"
    If Check_CSS_MaskPass.Value = "0" Then Text_CSS_Password.PasswordChar.Value = " "
    End Sub
    When i run the program and click the checkbox is get the following error:

Compile Error: Method or data member not found

and the following code is highlighted:

.PasswordChar =

Im quite new to VB but i dont think its far away from the way its supposed to be done?

While we are on the subject, will this method unmask the entire password if the checkbox is clicked half way through entering a password? If not ill have to look at another method.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,
    Gareth.
    Last edited by GarethD.Norris; September 9th, 2007 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Problem Solved

Re: Modify TextBox PasswordChar value using a Checkbox

Text_CSS_Password is a standard VB textbox? Correct?

Where did you get the idea that there is a Text_CSS_Password.PasswordChar.Value property? Being new to VB, strongly recommend you add OPTION EXPLICIT to the top of every code object you create: form, module, class, usercontrol, etc.

Your problem is easy to fix: remove the .Value from Text_CSS_Password.PasswordChar.Value

To unmask the password completely, use a null string, i.e., "" not " ". And yes, it is masked/unmasked as soon as you change the .PasswordChar property.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; September 8th, 2007 at 08:40 AM.
    Insomnia is a simple byproduct of "it can't be done"

Hi Mate,

Thanks for the reply but i think you missed that i have two code sections. In the first code box i did not use the .value at the end of Text_CSS_Password.PasswordChar as shown below:
    Code:
    If Check_CSS_MaskPass.Value = "0" Then Text_CSS_Password.PasswordChar = " "
    End Sub
    I only used this in the second code section to say that i had tried it (The reason i tried is that Check_CSS_MaskPassword has a .value on the end and works fine.)
    Code:
    If Check_CSS_MaskPass.Value = "1" Then Text_CSS_Password.PasswordChar.Value = "#"
    If Check_CSS_MaskPass.Value = "0" Then Text_CSS_Password.PasswordChar.Value = " "
    End Sub
    I changed the " " to "" and added an Option Explicit to the start of each form as you recomended but still no change. You were correct that the Text_CSS_Password is a standard textbox.

The code i am using now is below with the section highlighted by the error in large bold text:
    Code:
    If Check_CSS_MaskPass.Value = "0" Then Text_CSS_Password.PasswordChar = ""
    End Sub
    Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks,
    Gareth.
    Last edited by GarethD.Norris; September 8th, 2007 at 12:00 PM.

The checkbox values are numerical not string, but that should not be the problem.
    You still get a "method or data member not found" error?
    If so, add this statement to the top of your click event and let us know what reports back and which version of VB you are using. It will be printed to your debug window (CTRL+G)
    Debug.Print TypeName(Text_CSS_Password)

The values are 0,1 and 2, for unchecked, checked and vbGray

Code:
    If Check_CSS_MaskPass.Value = vbChecked Then 
      Text_CSS_Password.PasswordChar = "*"
    Else
      Text_CSS_Password.PasswordChar= ""
    Endif
    End Sub
    Last edited by dglienna; September 8th, 2007 at 05:43 PM.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

LaVolpe: I am using version: 8176 VBA: Retail 6.0.8169. I added the code as you stated and pressed Ctrl+G but noting appeared in the "Immediate" window.

dglienna: I tried your code (Just an IF / EndIF rework of the code i was using) and no change which is to be expected.

What really is odd is that If i just create the textbox and checkbox in a new project and use the exact same code it works perfectly. I have triple checked everything in the main code and it seems fine. As im not far into the project im going to start a new one and copy the code bit by bit to see.

Also the Option Explicit seems to mess up some code im using to launch an Attachmate session so i have removed it for now.

Gareth.

you NEED to use Option Explicit in ALL subs, functions, and property code.
    your errors are caused by using names that weren't declared (with DIM)

add it everywhere, and correct the errors.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

As David says, don't remove Option Explicit.

As far as your problem goes, do you have any lines of code like: Dim Text_CSS_Password ? That would explain an error. If not, something else in your project is a bit hosed up, otherwise it would still fail in the new project.

if something else modifies that checkbox, then your event wiil fire when you don't want it to. Step thru the code to see what happens..

Don't! have the click event set the checkbox in the checkbox_click() event. Instant problem! Loop never ends. App will crash in a few seconds.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Resolved Re: Modify TextBox PasswordChar value using a Checkbox

Hi Guys,

I started a new project, drew the form again and copied the code exactly as it was it and now works fine (Without Option Explicit).

I have not used Dim statements in some places but when i looked in VB6 book last night it states:
    "Although creating a variable out of thin air in the middle of a procedure is perfectivly acceptable, this is not considered good programming practice. A better programming practice is to declare your variables at the beginning of each event procedure."
    So that should not have been the problem but i will include them in future.

Reading a little further into the same book has shown me (At least i think) why the Option Explicit causes the error and i will try to sort the exisiting instances before moving forward with the code.

Thanks for your help guys, the original problem is now resolved so i will update the first post now.

Gareth

Hi Guys,

Just an update to say that i have now declaired all the variables and have readded the Option Explicit with all code now functioning correctly. I am also using this oppertuinity to add comments to all my code before it gets too big as this was also discussed in the book i have.

Thanks,
    Gareth.