CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So what IS AJAX?

Hello All...

Ok, so I've heard enough about AJAX. So what is it? Is it a tehnology? A technique? Do I need to download something for it? A co-worker is hooked on AJAX. Me? I'm an old c++ programmer sold on ASP.NET - and so the debate goes on... Do ASP.NET and AJAX compete? Or do they work together? Sometimes it seems asp.net does what ajax does without all the code... I went as far as picking up a book, Ajax Patterns and Best Practices, by Christian Gross. So far a good book. There's even a pattern for a problem I've been trying to solve for some time - pushing unsolicited data to the client. So interesting...

Ok, so what's the point of this post? I implore you. In a reasonably sized single paragraph - what IS AJAX?

Curt

Smile Re: So what IS AJAX?

Ajax is just a style of design, one that milks all the features of modern browsers to produce something that feels less web and more desktop.

DETAILS

Good news: You can run Ajax right now. At least, assuming you have a web browser from the past few years - IE, Firefox, Safari, or Opera. Have you seen Google Maps or perhaps GMail? They're both Ajax applications. So are Zuggest and the AjaxPatterns Wiki Demo .
    What do they all have in common? All these applications take a great leap forth towards the richness of standard desktop applications. No longer are you forced to wait five seconds for the page to reload every time you click on something. Ajax applications change in real time. They can let you drag boxes around, they can refresh themselves with new information, they can completely re-arrange the page without clearing it. And there's no special plugin required.
    Ritik D Dodhiwala
    Software Devloper
    Mumbai,India
    [IF MY SUGGESTIONS WORKS POSITIVLY PLEASE RATE POSITIVLY ]

Re: So what IS AJAX?

AJAX in Microsoft developing Environment is called as Remote Scripting.

MS-VISUAL STUDIO 6 had good AJAX support. I developed a web based chat client that would automatically receive Chat Messages from the other person without any submit / refresh of the web page to the server. Just like a Desktop application

Problem with AJAX in ASP 6 was ASP does not support server threading due to which AJAX requests would queue up at the server thereby making server slow in response. As number of people using chat client would increase the frequency of getting messages from the other party would slow down exponentially.

I wonder how dotnet supports AJAX? Has it eliminated the AJAX request Queuing problem? I am searching....
    V.V.Sankhe

most of my ajax has been using java, but I've been looking at tutorials on dot net with ajax and they look pretty well laid out. I have a friend who's done 1 site using ajax with dot net and said it was just as straight forward as any other server side language. this was before I read about its use on dot net, so I haven't confirmed a lot of items with him on it.
    David Meikle
    Quantum Unit Solutions, LLC
    www.quantumunit.com

I just got a book today on Ajax as well. I've seen the new features used in vBulletin 3.6 and they are neat to say the least.

I was wondering if they were the open source version of asp.net. Something to be used with Java Script, and PHP.

Ajax just reminded me of ASP.Net. For example, the ASP.Net validation controls that validate data and post the results or error summary information on the page without refreshing.

Was Ajax designed to compete with the .Net features, or is it something completely different? I haven't had a chance to crack the book open yet, so I still have no clue how it works. I'm sure I'll get a better idea once I start to read the book.

It seems like a cool technology. Seems like it will help web applications run a lot faster, and also save on bandwith from loading these pages over and over again just to get the same information downloaded with a "tiny" change.
    Last edited by MDC Admin; November 21st, 2006 at 01:43 AM.

Ajax has been around for quite some time now. And it is not a competitor of ASP.NET. AJAX as such is a Framework that will allow you to make web applications more richer in UI and more faster. It use Javascript and XML to communicate with the server asynchronously. You can implement Ajax in Classic ASP too.

ASP.NET comes with its own implementation of Ajax which is known as Atlas.
    Last edited by Shuja Ali; November 21st, 2006 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Updated the Link

alas...in typical microsoft fashion - I downloaded the libraries from the ajax.asp.net site last weekend, plus the informative video tutorial. Either the libraries did not install with their 'wizard' or the tutorial does not match the framework. *golf claps*...well done MS....well done....

Give me a simple jar file to drop into the lib folder any day....

In all fairness to dot net I haven't given up yet though...I can't, I have an upcoming project using it. Ali, I've downloaded the 3 msi files from the ajax.asp.net site, installed them all (some of them are just sample sites) but they don't show up in my web developer express (2005) projects. Do you have any suggestions to help me get it 'recognized' by the IDE?

cheers.
    Dave
    Last edited by dmeikle; November 21st, 2006 at 12:07 PM.
    David Meikle
    www.quantumunit.com

Well reguardless I've given up on Microsoft, after going from VB6 to VC++ to .Net. I'm tired of it. Technology is good but I'm off to try some new technologies, just got books on PHP5, CSS2, Java Script, and Ajax.

I can't wait to check out the Ajax book and see what it's all about. Will be nice to be on the other side for once.

Quote Originally Posted by dmeikle
    In all fairness to dot net I haven't given up yet though...I can't, I have an upcoming project using it. Ali, I've downloaded the 3 msi files from the ajax.asp.net site, installed them all (some of them are just sample sites) but they don't show up in my web developer express (2005) projects. Do you have any suggestions to help me get it 'recognized' by the IDE?
    What exactly is not working in your case. I do not have Web Developer Express right now, but I remember using it with these samples earlier. They worked for me.

well, i installed ASPAJAXExtSetup.msi and the other 2 msi files (one is samples, can't remember the other). then I was watching the video by scott guthrie...he also uses developer express, so it should have been verbatim.

I click start->new project...but there's nothing there for a dot net ajax project although I'd already installed the msi files using the wizards.

oh for the love of pete.....would you believe it? I just opened developer express as I'm typing this to confirm a few items, and NOW it's showing the ajax projects in the solution selection window....hahahahaa.

I guess I'll give it a go now...
    David Meikle
    www.quantumunit.com

It might have been that you needed to restartthe Developer Express. But anyways if it is working now, you are good to go.

dmeikle, Atlas Setup that you have donwloaded clearly states it is Beta version.

It does not run on my home PC but its does on my office PC.

To solve the problem once in for all I downloaded the AjaxPro Source Code (an older stable version for DOT NET Ajax made available by the third party vendor called Ajax Pro Vendor for free )

Make the DLL out of the source code and refer it in ur project

Start using it. It works very fine on my both PCs.

But Atlas when installed on my office system also worked fine. It offers some really cool tools like the UpdatePanel i.e. a panel where in u must drop your server control and all its events, although coded on server side like normal submit control, would automatically turn into Client side giving it a sleek look.

Impressive!
    V.V.Sankhe

very cool, thanks! I'll definitely check it out.
    David Meikle
    www.quantumunit.com

But still I wonder if AJAX runs on win98\ older version 2k (non Dotnet) PCs?

One of my server is like that, it simply rejects AJAX calls.
    V.V.Sankhe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast