dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

"not supported" error in crystal 8 - help please

I have a report written in crystal reports 8 that generates an error 'not supported' when any one of three particular fields are included in the report. If I leave the three fields out then the report runs fine, if I put them in then the report is returned as blank and a pop-up box appears twice with the error message 'not supported'.

The three fields are for telephone, fax and e-mail address and from the same stored proc as a all the other fields used by the report that run just fine.

I have tested the stored procedure and it is returning the fields correctly. The only thing that I can find in common between the fields that cause the report to fail is that they originate from the same field, a generic 'contact information' field, in the database and pass through three views before being called by the stored procedure.

I have tried a number of different data sets with the report and they all produce the same error.

The database is SQL Server 2000.

This one has got me really stumped and has caused much head scratching and googling but to no avail.

I'd really appreciate any help or suggestions for where to go next with this as I've hit the wall with my own investigations.

thanks,
    John

Re: "not supported" error in crystal 8 - help please

I did eventually manage to solve this problem. It was to do with the nvarchar datatype. I believe that crystal was objecting to a character allowed by this datatype but that crystal couldn't handle.

The fix was to:
    1. Alter the report's stored procedure casting the nvarchars as varchars:
    CAST(name As varchar(255)) As name

2. In crystal go to database/verify database

3. When prompted for un-mapped fields un-check the 'match datatype' checkbox (I think that's what it's called). Select pairs to match them.

4. And that was it, the report should now work. Easy when you know how!