CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

How to delete my codeguru account?

How can I delete my codeguru account, as if I were banned from codeguru?
    "inherit to be reused by code that uses the base class, not to reuse base class code", Sutter and Alexandrescu, C++ Coding Standards.
    Club of lovers of the C++ typecasts cute syntax: Only recorded member.

Out of memory happens! Handle it properly!
    Say no to g_new()!

Re: How to delete my codeguru account?

You can PM Brad Jones about it. However, CodeGuru is not in the habit of deleting accounts for the purpose of helpful contributions. Even banned accounts are not deleted, merely inaccessible.

// Why would you want to delete your account, especially after all your great contributions?
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Quote Originally Posted by PeejAvery
    // Why would you want to delete your account, especially after all your great contributions?
    I agree, I haven't been on this forum nearly as long as some other's, but you've made a lot of great contributions and are a very knowledgeable member of the community. We'd hate to see you go over some ad's.

I agree with you that telling us we can't block ads is against the spirit of the web, I agree totally. But perhaps something can be worked out.
    R.I.P. 3.5" Floppy Drives
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by SuperKoko
    Come on superkoko, what's wrong? Why would you even think of doing that? You are one of the most important contributers and well regarded members of the community. I hope this is just a temporary mood.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Quote Originally Posted by RaleTheBlade
    I agree with you that telling us we can't block ads is against the spirit of the web, I agree totally. But perhaps something can be worked out.
    Are you sure about that? Someone has to pay the cost of computers, bandwidth, and other costs associated with a Web site. Can you suggest how a site like Codeguru should cover the cost if ads are not to be used? Ads keep this site free. This site resides on multiple servers and uses the time of a number of IT guys to keep things going. How do you propose those costs be covered? It isn't exactly cheap to keep a site running that has hundreds of thousands of visits a day.

Ads are how Codeguru is able to remain a free community. By blocking ads, you are removing the revenue stream for this site. Remove the revenue stream and you remove its ability to pay its bills. Don't pay the bills, and you don't end up having a site..... I'd rather have ads than many of the alternatives.

I personally thing the spirit of the Web is to be 'free'. Ads keep it free.

As to deleting accounts. We don't do that. Deleting posts would mess up threads that other people invested time contributing to. As such, it is unfair to the other members of this community to remove posts.

Brad
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by SuperKoko
    What happened? Why do you want so? You have been a fantastic inspiration and will continue to be. You are one of the people that I look up to. Whats wrong? Recently, you have not been frequent, so you seem to have got over the CG "addiction", what then has cause you think so? You can always keep coming and sharing here. It would be such a loss to not have you around from time to time...

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones
    Ads are how Codeguru is able to remain a free community. By blocking ads, you are removing the revenue stream for this site. Remove the revenue stream and you remove its ability to pay its bills. Don't pay the bills, and you don't end up having a site..... I'd rather have ads than many of the alternatives.
    It would be ok if the policy said: "Please, codeguru lives from its ads. To participate to codeguru's income, don't block ads".
    But, forbidding ads blockers is a different matter.
    This is the difference between trading and begging. With the latter, there's no obligation. It's just fair to give.
    I'm not against trading a codeguru access with money. But I don't want to trade a codeguru access with my life comfort and my brain capacity.

BTW: If you must want to be fair with *BM and I*tel, I mustn't see their ads... Since I've been annoyed so much by their ads, I boycott these two brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones
    As to deleting accounts. We don't do that. Deleting posts would mess up threads that other people invested time contributing to. As such, it is unfair to the other members of this community to remove posts.
    I wouldn't want my posts to be deleted, but just my account access.

Quote Originally Posted by cilu
    I hope this is just a temporary mood.
    In doubt, I'll just logout for some time and think of it.
    "inherit to be reused by code that uses the base class, not to reuse base class code", Sutter and Alexandrescu, C++ Coding Standards.
    Club of lovers of the C++ typecasts cute syntax: Only recorded member.

Out of memory happens! Handle it properly!
    Say no to g_new()!

Hmm... now I understand.

Just out of curiousity, do animated adds earn more revenue from advertisers or they earn the same as simple images? Or is the thinking that they attract more viewers to click on them and visit?

Quote Originally Posted by exterminator
    Just out of curiousity, do animated adds earn more revenue from advertisers or they earn the same as simple images?
    In short, they are much more eye attractive. But, so long as a good graphic artist is involved, image ads can be just as appealing.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Unfortunately, there are many that believe bigger ads do a better job than smaller ads. I've fought this perception for a couple years now. I believe that smaller, well placed ads can be much less intrusive and much more powerful than overbearing big ads. As such, a well placed small add should be worth more than a genericly placed large ad. Of course, this is my believe; however....

My job at Jupitermedia is to focus on the content and the community. I don't deal with ads. That is done by sales which is kept independent of my area so as not to influence anything I do (or anything I publish). This is standard operating procedure for publishing companies. Unfortunately, this also means that many advertising decisions are made outside my area. Of course, when ads impact my areas, I yell too. Susan and Joe (jpnyc) also are on the editorial side, so they too make the same arguments against bad ads. We express our opinions and we greatly appreciate the support (even if it is complaints) that many of you provide in helping us make the case about "bad" ads. Your words help us win arguments. Your words have helped us keep pop up ads away (other than the stupid survey pop-ups that I constantly complain about). They also have kept full page 'door way' type ads off the site [so far].

Jupitermedia is a big company. One of the things in the work is a consideration for a redesign of the EarthWeb channel of sites. This could include Codeguru. If such a redesign occurs (sometime in 2008 hopefully), then it will include a serious focus on emphasizing the content better. It might not impact the forums much, but it will help on the article side of the site. In fact, I've already gotten support from upper management on figuring out a way to minimize the intrusion of the gastly large ads at the top of people's articles. We'll figure out a way..... (serious suggestions in welcome <G>)

Bottom line - we have a lot of great members here. Ads are not just a Jupitermedia / Codeguru thing. They are something that will intrude on most of the places you go on the internet. We have to figure out a way to make it all work so everyone is happy. It isn't an easy thing to resolve.

Codeguru is a great community. Some positive things are happening - I even got them to let me open the CafePress site! There are other positive things happening as well - I got them to let me offer a few people money (and possibly prizes in the near future) for best articles! We are listening and we do appreciate our long time members (and our new members too )

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

how to remove what you have posted??

We and Rush had a discussion, and I think this issue doesn't apply anymore

Thanks Hannes. Hopefully you talked about bringing 5 year old threads back to life too

Brad!