CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: SCTP protocol support on MS Windows, looking for help

Brucec, doesn't the GetAddrInfo support SOCK_SEQPACKET? I was trying to do the following:

memset(&hints, 0, sizeof(hints));
    hints.ai_family = PF_UNSPEC; // or AF_INET or AF_INET6
    hints.ai_socktype = SOCK_SEQPACKET;

error = GetAddrInfo(argv[1], argv[2], &hints, &res0);

But always I get error message: "The support for the specified socket type does not exist in this address family."
    Last edited by topuser; February 17th, 2010 at 11:22 AM.

I don't think there's a programmatic interface to NetShell that you can use, unfortunately. Since for SctpDrv it's just a wrapper around a sysctl interface, I should be able to add a few functions to sctpsp.dll to allow you to obtain the information through an API.

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    I don't think there's a programmatic interface to NetShell that you can use, unfortunately. Since for SctpDrv it's just a wrapper around a sysctl interface, I should be able to add a few functions to sctpsp.dll to allow you to obtain the information through an API.
    I tried to use setsockopt to reset the max instreams and ostreams, and it looks work in Windows and Linux.

struct sctp_initmsg initm;
    initm.sinit_max_instreams = 20;
    initm.sinit_num_ostreams = 20;
    setsockopt(sfd, IPPROTO_SCTP, SCTP_INITMSG, &initm, sizeof(initm));

Quote Originally Posted by topuser View Post
    Brucec, doesn't the GetAddrInfo support SOCK_SEQPACKET? I was trying to do the following:

But always I get error message: "The support for the specified socket type does not exist in this address family."
    I tried this but got the same error. Any hints ???
    hints.ai_protocol = IPPROTO_SCTP;

Wink Re: SCTP protocol support on MS Windows, looking for help

Another question to Brucec (Sorry I got too many questions for you):

When I tried to create my lib out of the two sctpsp.lib and IPHlpApi.lib, I got warning "LNK4006:
    __NULL_IMPORT_DESCRIPTOR already defined in IPHlpApi.Lib(iphlpapi.dll); second definition ignored".

Is it OK if I ignore it?

It appears that warning occurs if you're building a static library and have added libraries in the "Additional Dependencies" section. Apparently you shouldn't have any additional dependencies listed, but should add them to your final DLL or exe instead.

I've now released version 1.1.5 which should be a lot more stable - there are lots of bug fixes since 1.1.4. There are a few more bug fixes that have been made to the core stack in the last week though so I'll probably release 1.1.6 in a few weeks.

Question Re: SCTP protocol support on MS Windows, looking for help

Hi, Brucec,
    Currently I am doing my thesis work to measure performance of SCTP as General purpose transport protocol in windows. My plan is to configure a simple server client environment in windows and run some performance test comparing SCTP and TCP. i downloaded and installed SCTPDRV1.1.6. now what i wonder is how to enable SCTP to generate traffic to analyse the traffic using any tool like wireshark ?? Please suggest me some tips ???
    most importantly could you please tell me how to enable the use of sctp ???

Thank you very much in advance

You can use iperf to generate traffic, but it sounds like you might want to write your own client and server applications.

http://bluestop.org/SctpDrv/doc/development.html has some information about getting started with SctpDrv. After that you can use the normal Winsock API along with the SCTP API (the functions listed at http://bluestop.org/SctpDrv/doc/index.html).

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    You can use iperf to generate traffic, but it sounds like you might want to write your own client and server applications.

http://bluestop.org/SctpDrv/doc/development.html has some information about getting started with SctpDrv. After that you can use the normal Winsock API along with the SCTP API (the functions listed at http://bluestop.org/SctpDrv/doc/index.html).
    Thank you very much for your quick reply Bruce,
    I 'm not trying to write any client server applications, i just want to use SCTP as an alternate to TCP and capture packets using wireshark or some other tool which can capture SCTP packets.

Could you please give me an idea that where should I make this changes in windows 7

"In order to use all the capabilities of SCTP, you have to append the directory of ws2sctp.h into the Include Path of your compiler and link sctpsp.lib into your application. If however you just need to use SCTP as an alternative to TCP without using the new API or features, you can just change IPPROTO_TCP to IPPROTO_SCTP and use the standard headers: Microsoft ships Winsock with the IPPROTO_SCTP definition included"

I am very sorry if I ask simple things, I 'm just a beginner.

Wireshark already knows about SCTP: just run it and it'll start displaying SCTP packets once you have some SCTP traffic on the network. You can try it by running the echo_client / echo_server applications from c:\program files\sctpdrv\bin over a network - note that on Windows Wireshark doesn't log traffic over the loopback interface by default, so the traffic needs to be going out over a network card.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123