CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Help Please- Design

Hello everyone,

I just recently got a new job for a startup company. For my first project, they want me to design a program that automatically retrieves information from a webpage(for example like taking stock quotes from etrade) and put it into a database. I have no idea how to do that I have no exsprience with SQL or any database programming languages. I also don't know c# that well but I have a solid understanding of c++. So heres my question(s):

a) I how would I retrieve information from a webpage; Should I use Macros ?

b) Do you think I should learn c# or will I be able to do this with visual c++ ?

c) Whats the most efficient way to get this done ?

Thanks for you time

Re: Help Please- Design

a : Macro's ?? explain. .

b: both are possible.

c: start learning to program.

Maybe a bit blunt response , but the task at hand is not that difficult. Are you sure you are on the right job. ??

In all fairness, it depends on their experience, and related fields. For instance, I have only a very rough idea of where to start on his project. Yet, I can program DVD players, TV's, projector's and other AV equipment to work with databases on my computer, and GUI's. I've also fixed bugs in other programs, using my own program's, I have a decent amount of programming experience in a few areas, but when it comes to web development, my experience is extremely limited at best...

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

That's a fair point, bderagon - but kumar, are you sure you elected to receive email notifications when someone replies to your post? I ask this because your questions were already answered in your previous thread. The advice was that Java & Perl were better suited to this task.

Please don't start multiple threads just because you don't like the answers you got in the first one.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering