CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Some kind of virus - Shutdown disabled

Hi I face a problem on my laptop (win XP home). Shutdown button is disabled (only log off), task manager is also disabled and RUN (from the start menu) is also disabled. Probably some kinda virus. Any ideas?

Thanx in advance
    Theodore
    Personal Web Page (some audio segmentation tools): www.di.uoa.gr/~tyiannak

Re: Some kind of virus - Shutdown disabled

try this command TSSHUTDN on XP
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna
    try this command TSSHUTDN on XP
    Thanx for the reply, but my problem was not how to shut the pc down but how to repair the errors I described. Anyway, I did several scans, I deleted the spywares-viruses found and also I repaired the registry in order to have Task manager back etc. The only think that still doesn't work is the following: it seems that the virus changed sth in msconfig so that some programs did not start at startup. For example MSN and Sygate firewall were disabled. Now that I've deleted the viruses, I run msconfig and those programs are ENABLED, though they never start... Any ideas??

Thanx in advance,
    Theodore
    Theodore

The links might have been infected by the viruses, and deleted. More likely, is that there is still some spyware onthe system. You can also try SFC /SCANNOW if you have the xp disk handy. It will fix system files.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna
    The links might have been infected by the viruses, and deleted. More likely, is that there is still some spyware onthe system. You can also try SFC /SCANNOW if you have the xp disk handy. It will fix system files.
    Thanx for the answer. I tested a couple of antiviruses / anti-spywares etc and I think that the system is clear of viruses now. The links of the programs that do not run are not deleted, since if I try run some program manually (e.g. sygate) I get no link error (the link exists), but simply the program never starts.
    Theodore

Try checking their entries in the services panel. Might be they are disabled over there, or maybe enabled but set to manual activation instead of automatic.
    On Error Kill(User)

This is a registry trick. Check the following for a DWORD named NoClose. Either delete it, or set it to 0.

Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Quote Originally Posted by PeejAvery
    This is a registry trick. Check the following for a DWORD named NoClose. Either delete it, or set it to 0.

Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    Thanx for the reply. I checked this registry entry and it was correct. Any other ideas.
    Sth else: I forgot to say that apart from the other problems, the language tool (right bottom of the task bar) is also disabled.
    Theodore