CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Visual Studio 2005 and .NET 3.0

I've got Window Vista Home Premium. From what I understand, to "install" .NET 3.0, all I need to do is go to the control panel, select Programs and Features, then click on Turn Windows Features on or off, and select .NET 3.0 Framework. Is that correct? In the Turn Windows Features on or off window, this is what I have for .NET 3.0 Framework:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0
    -- Windows Communication Foundation HTTP Activation
    -- Windows Communication Foundation non-HTTP Activation
    -- XPS viewer

The state of the little checkboxes is: the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 box is filled in green, while both Windows Communication Foundations boxes are unchecked and unfilled, with XPS viewer checked.

It is WPF that I'm interested in experimenting with.

My question: What should I do with these checkboxes? Check them all? That's how I install .NET 3.0?

And also: what do I have to do in order to use Visual Studio 2005's IDE to write programs that use .NET 3.0?

Resolved Re: Visual Studio 2005 and .NET 3.0

I'll go ahead and post the answer you got over on Microsoft forums .

You might want to install the unchecked components to be able to make use of WCF Activation features.

The Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0 in Vista installs the .NET Framework 3.0 Runtime components. There is no separate installation package required.

You might want to install the following designers depending on your requirement:
    Windows SDK for Vista and the .NET Framework 3.0
    Visual Studio 2005 Extensions for .NET Framework 3.0 (Windows Workflow Foundation)
    Visual Studio 2005 Extensions for .NET Framework 3.0 (WCF & WPF)

You might also want to consider using .Net Framework 3.5 which builds incrementally on the .NET Framework 3.0 and is the latest release. You can find more information on this at:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vst...s/default.aspx (VS 2008, .Net 3.5 ships with VS 2008)

and

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
    _____
    It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating.

--Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

You can read my blog at Exold.com.