CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Compiler Problems [VC++ 2005]

What is this? I'm using a Microsoft IDE, and it cant include windows.h, I was thinking that it may be because the project and files are on the network, but that doesn't make sense because the freeware IDE I was using worked fine at the same place with the same code. Here's a look at the error:
    Code:
    .\main.cpp(1) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory
    Last edited by HKothari; December 22nd, 2007 at 10:41 AM.

Re: Compiler Problems [VC++ 2005]

It is helpful if you specify exact version of your compiler. There are several with 2005 designation. I will venture a guess here that you are using VC++ 2005 Express edition (free), which does not come in with Windows SDK. That you have to download it yourself seperatly. Seach MSDN for it and you will find it.

Thank you, yes, I am using express, but I can not find the window sdk for xp. Any suggestions as to the location?

Oh, thank you, I saw this one, and I thought it was only for windows server 2003, but apparently it's for xp too. Thank you.

Sorry to drag this out, but for some reason, now it compiles, but there is are now a bunch of linking errors, and I'm confused why this is happening because I set the library path to the correct location.

OK, you know it helps us if you show exact errors.

Code:
    main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DefWindowProcA@16 referenced in function "long __stdcall WndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?WndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
    main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DestroyWindow@4 referenced in function "long __stdcall WndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?WndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
    main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__MessageBoxA@16 referenced in function "long __stdcall WndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?WndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
    main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__CreateWindowExA@48 referenced in function "long __stdcall WndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?WndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
    main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__PostQuitMessage@4 referenced in function "long __stdcall WndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?WndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
    main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DispatchMessageA@4 referenced in function _WinMain@16
    main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__TranslateMessage@4 referenced in function _WinMain@16
    main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetMessageA@16 referenced in function _WinMain@16
    main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__UpdateWindow@4 referenced in function _WinMain@16
    main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__ShowWindow@8 referenced in function _WinMain@16
    main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__RegisterClassExA@4 referenced in function _WinMain@16
    main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__LoadCursorA@8 referenced in function _WinMain@16
    main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__LoadIconA@8 referenced in function _WinMain@16
    Thanks

Those are all Win32 functions, and their definitions are in the import libraries. Did you specify the libraries in the Link section?

The libraries are kernel32.lib, user32.lib, gdi32.lib, etc.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Link Section?

Reading docs for VC++ helps. Since it's Christmas time here, here is MSDN help on linker options. If you look around there you will find plenty of help.