CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thanks for the conversation

CPUWizard,

Thanks for the conversation in the other thread in the OS forun. It kinda grew didn't it?

Apologies to Sid and Peej who got upset about it being "in the wrong place".

-Erik

Re: Thanks for the conversation

No problem (we didn't get upset either - we've got to keep people on track, else the OP will).... If you guys need posts from that thread to come in here, let us know...

(However, if those posts come here, they will get sorted in chronological order... So, the one above wont remain at the top any more... )

Else, just continue here...
    Last edited by Siddhartha; June 2nd, 2008 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by egawtry
    CPUWizard,

Thanks for the conversation in the other thread in the OS forun. It kinda grew didn't it?

Apologies to Sid and Peej who got upset about it being "in the wrong place".

-Erik
    Erik,

You are quite welcome...

btw: Most of that would have been done with Private Messages..... IF YOU HAD THEM ENABLED!!!!
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

I was going to add some comments, but then, it would have spiraled down in flames. Best to start one here.

First GIANT computing machine that I saw (that needed it's own power source running!) that ran a local credit card that was accepted around town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_5410
    Last edited by dglienna; June 3rd, 2008 at 12:02 AM.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

It's funny, but I was using mainframes before anything else (my elementary school had a bunch of Silent-700s that were connected to the University of Minnesota's computing center), but I didn't actually physically see a mainframe until 1985 when I took some college courses out of high school. I was so impressed by a VAX 11/780 and a Micom datalink - it is funny to think that my PDA has more power and memory than that old beast did. I still have an old Mag tape sitting on the shelf with no way to read it anymore. I remember the 7MB hard drive was as big as a desk.

The beauty of computing back then was that if someone was going to use a computer they actually had to learn something! It drastically cut down on the user=idiot factor. (There - that should touch off a conversation!)

-Erik

Quote Originally Posted by egawtry
    It drastically cut down on the user=idiot factor. (There - that should touch off a conversation!)

-Erik

Shouldn't that be '=="

If the magtape is a 600-2400 ft reel 9track at 1600 or 6250 BPI, I can still read it. My other drive (which will also handle 800BPI and 3200BPI) is down, and probably will not be repaired in the near future....
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

CPUWizard,

As much as I would like to take a look at what I wrote 20+ years ago for curiousity's sake, I can't afford to send it to New York.

If I remember right, the big program on it was a trashcan utility to replace rm. It was heavily used at my collage after I wrote it, which got the sysop upset because he kept running out of disk space because everyone kept their trashcans full. I could probably rewrite it in about an half an hour now (took me a week then).

Talking about old media, I still have boxes full of 5.25" floppies that I don't have a drive for either. I wish someone would sell a USB 5.25" drive. Then I could have my nephew scan all my old disks into IMG files for long term storage.

-Erik

Everybody sells one. I had to buy one for a Toshiba Laptop that had RAID on the motherboard. The universal one that I had borrowed worked for the first F6, but as it was starting XP for the first time, it asked for the diskette again, but refused to see the drive this time!

It was for a client. Since then I've used nLite to slipstream drivers to a dvd
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Who is everybody? I can easily find a USB 3.5" floppy drive, but searching online I still don't find a USB 5.25" floppy. I can find a few mountable drives, but that's it.

If you know where one is being sold, please give me the link.

Thanks,
    -Erik

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna
    Everybody sells one. I had to buy one for a Toshiba Laptop that had RAID on the motherboard.
    A 5 1/4 Floppy drive ???? on a laptop with DVD ????

A 3 1/2 Stiffy i've seen, but Floppy's went out long time ago..
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.