CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Publish VB.NET on the www web

Hello everyone,
    I have developed code using Visual Basic in visual studio 2005.
    It runs fine when i run it.
    Now i want to publish it on the www web.
    Could anyone please help me out how to do that?
    thank you

Re: Publish VB.NET on the www web

What do you mean by "Publish on the web"? Do you want your users to be able to to access your application through a browser like Internet explorer? Or do you want to put a setup of your application on the web so that people can download it and use it? You need to tell us more and please be specific as to what you are looking for.

You could upload it, and let someone else GUESS what kind of app it is, but that would be useless. See if you can help yourself. Provide clues, and we'll help
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

This has got nothing whatsoever to do with VB.NET. If you've got a working application then the programming part is done. Making an executable fiel available for download from the Web has nothing whatsoever to do with the language it was developed in. Whether your app was created in VB.NET, C#, C++, Delphi or whatever, you stick it on a Web server and add a link to it on a Web page. That's nothing to do with VB.NET so this question doesn't belong in a VB.NET forum.
    Tutorials: Home & Learn | Start VB.NET | Learn VB.NET | C# Station | GotDotNet | Games in VB.NET 101 Samples: 2002 | 2003 | 2005 | More .NET 2.0 (VB.NET, C#) Articles: VB.NET | C# | ASP.NET | MoreFree Components: WFC | XPCC | ElementsEx | VBPP | Mentalis | ADO.NET/MySQL | VisualStyles | Charting (NPlot, ZedGraph) | iTextSharp (PDF) | SDF (CF) ● Free Literature: VB 2005 (eBook) | VB6 to VB.NET (eBook) | MSDN Magazine (CHM format) ● Bookmarks: MSDN | WinForms .NET | ASP.NET | WinForms FAQ | WebForms FAQ | GotDotNet | Code Project | DevBuzz (CF) ● Code Converter: C#/VB.NET | VB.NET/C# | VS 2005 add-in

This has got nothing whatsoever to do with VB.NET. If you've got a working application then the programming part is done. Making an executable fiel available for download from the Web has nothing whatsoever to do with the language it was developed in. Whether your app was created in VB.NET, C#, C++, Delphi or whatever, you stick it on a Web server and add a link to it on a Web page. That's nothing to do with VB.NET so this question doesn't belong in a VB.NET forum.
    This seems to be a rather rude response, as usual.
    Not only that, but it looks wrong(...nothing whatsoever...), since there are URL options in the project's properties for publishing.
    This is undoubtedly what he is asking about.

The title should have been "Publish app with VB.NET on the www web".

I see myself as blunt, rather than rude. I guess the lack of a Deployment forum on this site actually does mean that this is as good a place as any for this question. You obvioulsy need access to the URL you specify in order to get the files uploaded.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tutorials: Home & Learn | Start VB.NET | Learn VB.NET | C# Station | GotDotNet | Games in VB.NET 101 Samples: 2002 | 2003 | 2005 | More .NET 2.0 (VB.NET, C#) Articles: VB.NET | C# | ASP.NET | MoreFree Components: WFC | XPCC | ElementsEx | VBPP | Mentalis | ADO.NET/MySQL | VisualStyles | Charting (NPlot, ZedGraph) | iTextSharp (PDF) | SDF (CF) ● Free Literature: VB 2005 (eBook) | VB6 to VB.NET (eBook) | MSDN Magazine (CHM format) ● Bookmarks: MSDN | WinForms .NET | ASP.NET | WinForms FAQ | WebForms FAQ | GotDotNet | Code Project | DevBuzz (CF) ● Code Converter: C#/VB.NET | VB.NET/C# | VS 2005 add-in

I am really sorry for the way i put my question.
    I am really new to the programming world.
    So please pardon me.
    I want to deploy it on the web and the user have to open it on the browser like explorer. Its basically a game sort of thing. I want the user to play the game directly on the web browser.
    Could any one help me out on this?
    Thanking you.

You'd have to create the ASP web page, with your VB or C# code running as 'code-behind'. Then you upload it. You can't have a exe run in a browser, which is a good thing.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Yes, it appears that you have created the wrong type of application in the first place. If you were using VB Express then you will need to use Visual Web Developer Express instead. If you're using a full Visual Studio version then you need to create a new Web Site instead of a new Project.

Some of your code will stay the same but you're going to have to replace your entire UI I'm afraid. Controls are designed for either Windows or Web, not both, so you'll have to use a completely different set of controls. There are many correlations, like both control sets have a Button class, but they are completely different classes.

You're going to have to learn some new skills too, I'm afraid. There are many similarities bewteen WinForms and WebForms but there are many differences too. I'm an experienced .NET developer but I couldn't create a decent Web application to save my life at the moment.

Thank you..
    I will develop my application in asp.net.
    Can anyone help me out in finding a timer function which is similar to that of vb.net for asp.net.
    I really love if there is anyone who could help me in bringing out the application in vb itself.
    Thanking you

if there is anyone who could help me in bringing out the application in vb itself.
    What does that mean?
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

The fact that you're creating a Web application doesn't mean you're not using VB. ASP.NET is not a programming language. It's a technology for creating Web applications. The Web pages themselves are, of course, HTML with embedded script. The code-behind is still written in a .NET language, usually VB or C#. You ARE still creating a VB application. It's just a VB Web application instead of a VB Windows application. I strongly suggest that do a bit of reading so you have an idea of what you're dealing with.