CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Memory Leak profiler for C++ anyone?

Hi,

I'm currently using Visual Studio 2008 for my C++ development. Unfortunately, Compuware DevPartner (formerly known as Boundschecker) is not supported in this IDE yet, as it is still fairly new.

In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone knew of something that I could use to detect memory leaks in my application? I would prefer something that doesn't involve directly modifying the source code. Integration isn't important, so it can be a 3rd party application if needed.

I am looking for something that has nice features like allocation callstacks. The closer in functionality it is to Boundschecker, the better.

Thanks.
    --MrDoomMaster
    --C++ Game Programmer

Don't forget to rate me if I was helpful!

Re: Memory Leak profiler for C++ anyone?

Huh, isn't memory leak detection supported in 2008 debugger or is it just that you need something more than what studio offers?

The only memory leak detection that I'm aware of that is supported by the VS debugger involves modifying the source code, which is something I'm not willing to do. I'm looking for a way of checking for memory leaks that does not involve changing the source code. If there is a built-in way of doing this I would love to learn about it!
    --MrDoomMaster
    --C++ Game Programmer

From the lack of discussion here I can see that this is a major issue. Does no one check for memory leaks anymore? Does no one have anything they can suggest? Okay, what if I said I was willing to change the source code for the sake of memory leak detection, what would you guys be able to offer me? Note that I still want allocation callstacks.

Thanks! I look forward to hopefully getting some great suggestions.
    --MrDoomMaster
    --C++ Game Programmer

Visual Studio has a memory leak checker build in, and I've never had to modify code to check for leaks.

But, if you don't like Visual Studio's performance, and you're running cross platform, you can use Valgrind. Or, if you want to stay on Windows, buy Purify.

Viggy

My memory profiler MemPro does exactly what you want. It requires only minor modifications to your code. It is currently in Beta and is available for free.