CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Download ajax

Download ajax

Hi, I am brand new to ajax.

If I want to use ajax, do I have to download any software?
    Is ajax only a technology instead of software package?

It perhaps a silly question but any answer will be appreciated.

Re: Download ajax

Ajax is the name of a technology, but it is always implemented by a software package. For example if you download the .Net 3.x runtime you will get the necessary files for support AJAX in an ASP.Net application.

(Remember the Express editions of Visual Studio are also free.....)
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

AJAX is simply combining JavaScript and XML. You do not need software to do it, any machine can run it. However, if you do not know JavaScript, then Visual Web Developer can help you.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Quote Originally Posted by PeejAvery
    AJAX is simply combining JavaScript and XML. You do not need software to do it, any machine can run it. However, if you do not know JavaScript, then Visual Web Developer can help you.
    Typically it also involves server side code to provide the XML. Integrating these three parts manually is quite tedious.

While simple JavaScript with a trivial XML document is technically AJAX. Many people (myself included) do not really consider something to be an "AJAX Application" unless there is significant and pervasive use.

For example an application which repopulated a ListBox from a static XML document based on the contents of a TextBox, IS an AJAX application. I would have additional expectations (server side validation of entries without page refresh, dynamic data providing, etc).

I guess it is a matter for perception. Along the same lines, I would not consider a C++ program that used a single class with everything beiing done in a proceduralfashion using the methods of a single instance of that class to be an "Object Oriented" program, even though it is using AN object.....
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions

Quote Originally Posted by TheCPUWizard
    Integrating these three parts manually is quite tedious.
    Depends on your point of view. I do it everyday and prefer it that way. I like having 100% control and customizable code.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Quote Originally Posted by PeejAvery
    Depends on your point of view. I do it everyday and prefer it that way. I like having 100% control and customizable code.
    Guess there's just more time in Iowa than in New York

Your are definately correct that it is very much a matter of perspective and focus. My preference is to have the appropriate JavaScript automatically injected into the pages as they are generated (there are various business reasons for this, including the fact that I usually outsource the visual "UI" aspects. I find that for my purposes the AJAX enabled controls of .Net allow me to produce reliable results in a shorter timeframe. The results can easily be different for different developers.
    Last edited by TheCPUWizard; January 30th, 2008 at 03:51 PM.
    2008, 2009,2010