CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Exclamation Visual C++ 6.0 on Vista

Hi I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but I will ask anyway.
    I need to use Visual C++ 6.0 for school, and I am trying to run it on Vista Ultimate.
    Every time I run it, I keep getting these compatibility warnings.
    Any recommendations? (other than going back to XP or upgrading the compiler)

Re: Visual C++ 6.0 on Vista

It's not a direct answer, but Microsoft Express 2005 or 2008 are free and are more standard compiler. If you can help it, I would stay away from 6.0, it is an old compiler (not maintained anymore by Microsoft) and falls short with c++ standard compliance. I also would be surprise if it does work on Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by STLDude
    It's not a direct answer, but Microsoft Express 2005 or 2008 are free and are more standard compiler.
    +1.
    Get either of those if you can. VC++ 6.0 is a sorry excuse for a C++ compiler, at least by today's standards.

Yes, Microsoft Express 2005 or 2008 are free and are more standard compiler.

But. Sometimes we need to compile old project with old compiler and old environment. You can do next steps:
    1) install msdev 6.0 in old operation system;
    2) copy folder with new installation to Vista;

i guess, it should work.

Your .cpp/.h files would not be confered with msdev, but it not very impotant, if you use msdev 6.0 as subsidiary compiler. In our epoch 6.0 cannot be used as main copiler, because of ... now you can see first sentence.
    make it run, make it right, make it fast, make it small
    (copyright Kent Beck)

If your school requires you to use VC 6.0 [then complain LOUDLY!, it will teach you WRONG things!!!!], your best bet will be to download Virtual PC and setup an XP based virtual machine.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Stop wining about how bad VC6 is, because it isn't.

ontopic:
    1) install msdev 6.0 in old operation system;
    2) copy folder with new installation to Vista;
    This doesn't work, because the Visual Studio integrates itself with your OS. In other words. . the registry is filled with all kinds of stuff, and copying the folder doesn't copy the registry settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizmo
    Stop wining about how bad VC6 is, because it isn't.
    There is no "whining" going on. Simply stating simple facts. When VC 6.0 was released, it was one of the better (performance, capabilities, IDE) offerings available. However, it was not conformant to the C++ standard (this is well documented by Microsoft itself).

The newer compilers (especially 2008) have had significant investment in conforming to the standard (if the proper switch settings are used).

A few years ago I was contracted to be one of the technical editors for a book on C++. My task was to validate all of the code samples against the standard. Since NO compiler at that time as 100% compliant (no limitations, no extensions), this was a very tedious task. In paralllel with this I ran all of the code samples against 5 different compilers.

The number of places where I had to document: "The standard says .... but with VC 6.0 you must/should ...." was quite significant.

Does this mean it was a "bad" compiler? [IMHO] A definate NO.

But for someone to learn C++ they should be using the latest and greatest (and should be instructed to configure the environment for the strictest compliance to the standard disabling all extensions).
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions

I use 6 to smash out certain types of code. Regarding the c++ standard, I would refer to Alan Kay who said something along the lines: "I came up with the term OOP and when I did, I didn't have C++ in mind!"

Otherwise, the advice is sound. The newer tools have more power and are for the most part cleaner and faster to use. I've played with the two Express versions and shared teaching a C# class in Sunnyvale... but if you really want power, you have to go with Visual Studio - download the free versions (2005 or 2008) which I think are 90 days. I had the team version of 2005 as a trial for 6 months in 2008.

Since I started writing code in 1969 and have a reasonable sense of how ignorant I am - nobody knows EVERYTHING and since the half life of most computing knowledge is about 6 months, everything you learn is likely going to be flushed sooner rather than later - the focus should be on gaining familiarity with many different tools and immersing yourself in life in general because THAT is where the ideas come from and that is also where you learn about the end users - not religious devotion to one computing cult or another.

But 6 is OK. If the class requires it, fine. Learn UML and as soon as possible learn to think of problem solving as objects, and don't leave that. It's a better approach.

And above all else, as much as you can, avoid turning yourself into a big lab rat pushing levers in a corporate Skinner box. 99% of corporations will put a small stack of cash next to a tiny little task... and pretty soon your whole universe will be centered on that tiny little task.

Nomad, you raise some valid points. But the FACT remains that if a person (especially a beginning student) learns C++ by using the VC++ 6.0 compiler, they will HAVE TO adopt practices which are NOT compliant with the standard, and will NOT compile or execute on other (more compliant) compiler, including VC++ 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, 10.0.

My company provides technical screening services to a number of firms. Out standard C++ test contains a number of questions specifically designed to determinine if the application is biased by 6.0 to the detriment of their ability to write compliant code.

Candidates who provide the "correct for 6.0" answers are almost always eliminated from consideration, even if the remainder of their test score is decent.

There is simply NO REASON for someone to be using a product which has been out of mainstream support for over half a decade, especially when (as you pointed out) there are newer products available for FREE!
    2008, 2009,2010