CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Python Forum

Python Forum

Hi,

Would it be possible to add a forum for Python discussion? Python is fairly popular and I'm actually quite surprised it isn't part of the community discussion groups.
    --MrDoomMaster
    --C++ Game Programmer

Don't forget to rate me if I was helpful!

Re: Python Forum

If you can get at least 5 other people to post in this tread to say that they will actively participate in a Python forum, then we can consider creating a new forum.

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

--MrDoomMaster
    --C++ Game Programmer

Quote Originally Posted by MrDoomMaster

Ah... but now see if you can get them to respond to this thread. That will indicate that they are a bit more serious about supporting it

Thumbs up Re: Python Forum

Python is a fairly known language nowadays, it is quite used in some applications especially on *nix systems

a good exemple is the original bittorrent program, it was written in python, among other well known software

a python forum is actually a good ideia

Quote Originally Posted by CuotlX
    Python is a fairly known language nowadays,....
    I fully agree. The issue is more about there being enough people here that are intersted enough in python to discuss it in a forum setting.

We could add a lot of other languages too like F#, Perl, COBOL, Pascal, and more, but if there is nobody wanting to discuss it or answer questions on the topic, then the forums would simply get in the way.

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Perhaps the way to find out if people would discuss these things is to just create the forum anyhow. I guarantee that most people who come here looking for Python discussion just pass right along and continue their search on Google rather than stopping in, taking time to register and to request it. Much less reply to this thread!

In any case, having a Python forum, regardless of how often it is used, wouldn't really hurt the CodeGuru server now would it? Space consumption isn't an issue. It's just text. I don't understand why you wouldn't make it. If the forum turns out to not be used that often, what would that hurt? We have a lot of forums here that aren't used often in comparison to some of the more popular C++ forums.
    --MrDoomMaster
    --C++ Game Programmer

It is not about space, but rather about the number of requests we get for new forums on various topics. If we started adding all of them (that were related to code or technology), we would likely hit 100+ forums in a matter of a couple of months. That could then make finding some of the forums a bit more difficult.

But I have an idea I might ponder..... Maybe I could create a new forum section and it could have 'new forums' in it. If a forum then gets enough traffic, it can move to the main forum areas. Just an idea off the cuff, so I need to think about it.

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones
    It is not about space, but rather about the number of requests we get for new forums on various topics. If we started adding all of them (that were related to code or technology), we would likely hit 100+ forums in a matter of a couple of months. That could then make finding some of the forums a bit more difficult.

But I have an idea I might ponder..... Maybe I could create a new forum section and it could have 'new forums' in it. If a forum then gets enough traffic, it can move to the main forum areas. Just an idea off the cuff, so I need to think about it.

Brad!
    I understand your concerns, however if I were you I would consider it safe to make an exception for substantially popular languages, like Python. Again, if we never make these forums people will not take the time to stop by and request they be made. That's just my opinion on the matter.

I like your idea about a "New Forum" section. It's at least worth a try to see how it works out.
    --MrDoomMaster
    --C++ Game Programmer

I'm willing to agree to set up an area that I'll call "Proving Grounds" for new forums. This is an area where we can put new forums that are requested.

We need a few 'rules' though. I put rules in quotes because I always reserve the right for JPnyc (Forum Manager) and me (Site Manager) to overrule the rules.

Again, give me some time to work this out. I'm working to hire someone in San Francisco this week for DevX and I'll be at the Mix conference next week, so it is a bit hectic right now .

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones
    I'm willing to agree to set up an area that I'll call "Proving Grounds" for new forums. This is an area where we can put new forums that are requested.

We need a few 'rules' though. I put rules in quotes because I always reserve the right for JPnyc (Forum Manager) and me (Site Manager) to overrule the rules.

Again, give me some time to work this out. I'm working to hire someone in San Francisco this week for DevX and I'll be at the Mix conference next week, so it is a bit hectic right now .

Brad!
    Thanks. I'm looking forward to the change!
    --MrDoomMaster
    --C++ Game Programmer

A Python forum would be great ... I use Python a lot and will definately participate in a python forum.

I would second the decision to open a python forum. But the problem I foresee is whether we have enough python experts here to answer the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by CBasicNet
    I would second the decision to open a python forum. But the problem I foresee is whether we have enough python experts here to answer the questions.
    By no means do I consider myself an expert, but I feel fond enough with the language that I would be able to offer some assistance.
    --MrDoomMaster
    --C++ Game Programmer

http://www.codeguru.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95

Simply put.... Use it or lose it

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast