CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

The "best" python IDE

I've spent a lot of hours looking at various Python IDE's, and I've found that they all have their disabilities. However, there is one IDE that has a very similar look and feel to that of Visual Studio. The name is PyScripter, and it can be found here.

Note that this is, IMHO, the "best" IDE out there. It's got a familiar theme, highly configurable, great syntax coloring, and the developer pays very personal attention to each and every bug and feature request. He's already implemented a couple of features I've suggested (and very quickly at that).

Not a lot of people know about PyScripter, so I thought I'd make this post to spread the word a little.
    --MrDoomMaster
    --C++ Game Programmer

Don't forget to rate me if I was helpful!

Re: The "best" python IDE

Try BlackAdder!
    Power of a great IDE + Power of Qt + Python !

Talking Re: The "best" python IDE

I decided to try this out and I LOVE the layout. It can be a bit buggy at times when running scripts though. Definately think I will stick with it though, thanks for the advice!

Thumbs up Re: The "best" python IDE

I like it. Thank you.

i quite like the pyDev plugin for Eclipse, which offers nice code completion feature.

Anybody in favor of Eclipse here?

Lightbulb Re: The "best" python IDE

WING IDE is cool with intellisense feature also.

Programmer's Notepad is not really an IDE, but it has a great project management feature and nice Python syntax highlighting. You can also setup Python as a command line utility in the editor and run your python scripts easily. No debugging support (Never really needed this).
    --MrDoomMaster
    --C++ Game Programmer

Don't forget to rate me if I was helpful!

I'm an old VB guy and wanting to leran Python I was sick of the ide's available...a google led me directly to your post. Thanks MrDoomMaster!

Tried this and looks nice. A small suggestion: a greate way for the author to get more exposure/popularity would be to put a few screenshots on the page as most people skip immediately any page that doesn't have images.
    Last edited by yoerski; April 21st, 2011 at 11:47 AM.

pyscripter is also the free ide that I have settled on after trying pydev/eclipse, pythonwin, netbeans(very buggy for python), scite, idle etc.

I haven't tried stani's yet, but integration with winpdb (very good cross platform python debugger) looks interesting.

I have tried a couple of the portable python releases that come with pyscripter - pyscripter seems to error a lot on name-completion/context menus in that setup.