CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Pig Latin Function Issues

I am working on a program that inputs various sentences as C-strings and does various string conversions on each sentence. I've done all of the conversions but one: converting the sentence into Pig Latin. I am only allowed to use the <cctype> and <cstring> libraries to manipulate the strings, and no string class functions.

The Pig Latin rules I was given are:
    1. if a word begins with a vowel, append "-way" ot the end
    2. if a word starts with a consonant, identify the consonants up to the first vowel and move these consonants to the end of the word, then add "ay"
    3. include "y" as a vowel

So if the original sentence was: This is another fine day.
    The Pig Latin sentence would be: Is-thay is-way another-way ine-fay ay-day.

I created a function just for the Pig Latin portion of the program. This is what I have so far:
    Code:

void findPigLatin(int len, char array1[], char pigLatin[], ofstream &outputFile)
    {
    	int index, begin, i, j, k, l, start;
    	 char word[15];
    	 start = 0;
    	 for (index = 0; index < len; index++)
    	 {
    		 if(isspace(array1[index]))
    		 {
    			 for(j = start; j < index; j++)
    			 {
    				 start = index;
    				 word[k] = array1[j];
    				 cout << word[k];
    				 if(word[0] == 'a' || word[0] == 'e' || word[0] == 'i' || word[0] == 'o' || word[0] == 'u' || word[0] == 'y')
    				 {
    					 for (l = begin; l < index; l++)
    						 outputFile << word[l];
    					 outputFile << "-way";
    				 }
    				 else if(word[k] == 'a' || word[k] == 'e' || word[k] == 'i' || word[k] == 'o' || word[k] == 'u' || word[k] == 'y')
    				 {
    					 for(i = k; i < index; i++)
    						 outputFile << word[i];

}
    				 k++;
    			 }
    		 }
    	 }
    }
    Everytime I run it, it crashes and doesn't output anything to the output file. However, when I comment out this function, the rest of the program runs fine.

Can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong, and/or give any suggestions on how I can do this Pig Latin portion. Thanks in advance.

Re: Pig Latin Function Issues

Bump. I've been trying to figure something out while waiting for a response, but I'm not getting anywhere. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Have you tried stepping through the function? That might give you a better idea where the issue might be. Sorry if that isn't much help.

Without running this and debugging I can see a few problem areas:
    Code:
    word[k] = array1[j];
    You never initialise 'k'. You cannot guarantee that k is 0 at this point. I suggest initialising it before first use. Secondly I notice that you are incrementing 'k' in a for loop which is limited only by the value of 'len' which is passed into the function. However the 'word' array is only 15 elements long. Does 'k' ever go over 15? Here
    Code:
    outputFile << word[i];
    Does 'i' ever get bigger than 15? Again,
    Code:
    outputFile << word[l];
    does 'l' get bigger than 15?

A crash usually indicates that you're trying to access an invalid place in memory. Check that everywhere you are accessing an element in an array that it's valid.