CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Smile Copy files from web server to local system

HI I have a problem, i need to copy the files that are in the web server in to the local system in ASP. Can anybody help me.
    Thanks....

Re: Copy files from web server to local system

Why don't you just use FTP? It would be much faster and hastle free.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Hi. i would have used FTP but, I need to do this through my website its the requirement for the website. can it be done? please help....

Well, you have a couple of options, all of which will require administrative access to both the server and the local machine. And, on the local machine it will require user interaction.

1. You can zip the files and call a download dialog.

2. You can create an ActiveX object that would download the files.

Thanks Chinchito.
    the problem is that i need to download the file from the server into the local system into a particular folder and these folders path have to be given during runtime. can this be done?

Then you would have to use option #2. It will require the client to use IE, and the user to allow the ActiveX object to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitya_V
    Thanks Chinchito.
    the problem is that i need to download the file from the server into the local system into a particular folder and these folders path have to be given during runtime. can this be done?
    You should not be doing this unless you absolutely have to. In 99% of cases you don't have to and one of the following will suffice:
    1. Scrap the idea and code it without the use of this file.
    2. Create an installation package or a zip file and have the user download and install it.

Which ever way you choose, you need to be asking the users permission. I would not recommend Active X because their are browser dependant and have a history of security issues and so people are naturally dubious about them. You also have Java as an option too which runs in most browsers. And, if you really want to use Active X or Java and still need to save a file on the user file system, then you need to get the applet/control digitally signed by a third party such as verisign otherwise it will be blocked by 80% of your audience.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || ClickOnline ||

Did I ever say I was an expert?

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Please mark threads resolved by going to the thread tools menu and clicking the Mark Thread Resolved button.

Has a post really helped you? Please Rate it.