CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

TextColor in Command Button

Can anyone tell me an easy way to set the text color of a button (forecolor) to any other color. Eg. red.

I followed a similar procedure as for that of an edit control.But it does not work. Here is the code.

int WINAPI WinMain (HINSTANCE hThisInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,LPSTR lpszArgument,int nFunsterStil)
    {
    HWND hwnd = CreateWindowEx ( //form options ); //Callback set to WindowProcedure
    HWND hwnd2=CreateWindowEx(0,"BUTTON,""button1",WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE ,10,10,60,30,hwnd,NULL,hThisInstance,NULL);
    }

LRESULT CALLBACK WindowProcedure (HWND hwnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
    {
    switch (message)
    {
    case WM_DESTROY:
    PostQuitMessage (0);
    break;

case WM_CTLCOLORBTN: /*it is WM_CTLCOLOREDIT for an edit control. I am creating a button so i changed it to WM_CTLCOLORBTN*/
    SetTextColor((HDC)wParam,RGB(254,0,0));
    break;

default:
    return DefWindowProc (hwnd, message, wParam, lParam);
    }

return 0;
    }

Re: TextColor in Command Button

I'm afraid WM_CTLCOLOR handling in the dialog cannot change the color of buttons.

Try this:
    http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls...icle.php/c5169
    Nobody cares how it works as long as it works

I checked the link out and it seems the example uses dialogs. In my code i use APIs to create the windows. I need to change the forecolor and backcolor of the command button which is made by createwindow api.Any ideas?

as per msdn documentation "The WM_CTLCOLORBTN message is sent to the parent window of a button before drawing the button. The parent window can change the button's text and background colors. However, only owner-drawn buttons respond to the parent window processing this message."
    So your only option is to go for an owner drawn button

What exactly is an owner drawn button? Can it be implemented with createwindow api in a form also created by createwindow api? Could you please show me an example of how to create it and change the text color.

An owner draw button is a cutom button whose drawing is handled in the code at run time. You can do this by setting the BS_OWNERDRAW flag in your button's CreateWindowEx. Also you need to handle the WM_DRAWITEM for this button and basically draw the text and background color inside this handler. This will help you customize the button in any whichever way you want.

Buttons with any one of the button styles BS_PUSHBUTTON, BS_DEFPUSHBUTTON, or BS_PUSHLIKE do not use the brush returned from
    handling a WM_CTLCOLORBTN message. I read somewhere that this "feature" goes back to the early days of windows.

So you are going to have to handle the drawing of the button yourself

Include BS_OWNERDRAW as one of the window styles for your button set in the dwStyle field of the CreateWindow function.

You would then handle drawing the button from WM_DRAWITEM. Below is an example
    for an MFC button, but you should be able to change it for Win32 calls

Code:
    void MASKED_BITMAP_BUTTON::DrawItem(LPDRAWITEMSTRUCT lpDrawItemStruct) 
    {
    	CDC* dc = CDC::FromHandle(lpDrawItemStruct->hDC);
    	CRect rect(lpDrawItemStruct->rcItem);
    	dc->SaveDC();

rect.DeflateRect(0,0,0,2);
    	IsLite_ ? dc->FillSolidRect(&rect, LightColor_) : dc->FillSolidRect(&rect, ::GetSysColor(COLOR_BTNFACE));

if(UseText_)
    	{
    		if(TextFont_.GetSafeHandle())
    			dc->SelectObject(TextFont_);

dc->SetBkMode(TRANSPARENT);
    		dc->SetTextColor(RGB(0,0,0));
    		dc->DrawText(Text_.c_str(), &rect, DT_SINGLELINE | DT_VCENTER | DT_CENTER);
    	}

if(TheBitmap_.GetSafeHandle())
    	{
    		if(Stretch_)
    			TheBitmap_.DrawTransparentStretch(dc, rect, TransparentColor_);
    		else			
    			TheBitmap_.DrawTransparent(dc, rect.left + LeftSideOffset_, rect.top + TopSideOffset_, TransparentColor_);
    	}

rect.InflateRect(0,0,0,2);
    	dc->DrawEdge(&rect, ((lpDrawItemStruct->itemState & ODS_SELECTED) ? EDGE_SUNKEN : EDGE_RAISED), BF_RECT);

dc->RestoreDC(-1);
    }
    Wakeup in the morning and kick the day in the teeth!! Or something like that.

"i don't want to write leak free code or most efficient code, like others traditional (so called expert) coders do."

Quote Originally Posted by blastingblast
    What exactly is an owner drawn button?
    Why don't you read MSDN ?
    There are plenty of complete (C-Win32 api) samples for Owner-Drawn buttons (KB, PSDK, etc)

Smile Re: TextColor in Command Button

Thanks,I finally understood it.Managed to use souldog's code after converting.Thanks Guys.