CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Threaded View

Post Need help retrieving the drive letter upon mass storage arrival

Hi,

I'm writing a simple software that has to detect a new USB device insertion and basically retrieve a couple of informations from it before it really start working.

By using some MSDN references I could get the message for device arrival without major problems, however, I'm not being able to get the drive letter.

basically this is what I did:

1- Registered my software to receive device arrival/removal message for the desired type:

static const GUID GUID_DEVINTERFACE_USBSTOR =
    { 0xA5DCBF10L, 0x6530, 0x11D2, { 0x90, 0x1F, 0x00, 0xC0, 0x4F, 0xB9, 0x51, 0xED } };
    hDevNotify = RegisterDeviceNotification(this->GetSafeHwnd(), &NotificationFilter, DEVICE_NOTIFY_WINDOW_HANDLE);

then I created a ::OnMyDeviceChange(WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam) function to handle these notifications.

until here, everything is working fine.
    I can get the enumeration information from a DEV_BROADCAST_DEVICEINTERFACE structure. However, according to the documentation, I would also need a DEV_BROADCAST_VOLUME structure to get the drive letter from, but seems that it's not available at the moment I get notified of a device arrival.

So I was wondering, what can I do to get the drive letter associated to that device arrival event?

Namaste
    Last edited by Namaste; April 23rd, 2008 at 08:31 AM.