CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] X Windows widget questions...

X Windows questions...

1) Is there a call to retrieve the children widgets of a given parent?

2) Can a widget be modified if you're in a callback that was executing by the same widget?

The reason for question 2 is I would like to add children widgets to a particular widget, and I would like to do this from a callback that is currently executing from the widget in question. When I try this, my program core dumps. I can, however, add children to a particular widget if I am in some other callback that was executing from a completely different widget.

Re: X Windows widget questions...

Never mind question 2, I think(?) I've found my problem. I do still need an answer for question 1. Thanks.

Which X library are you using? GTK+, qt, wxWidgets? There isn't a single API.

Quote Originally Posted by IllegalCharacter
    Which X library are you using? GTK+, qt, wxWidgets? There isn't a single API.
    Sorry, I've been on vacation for the last week and a half.

The library is X11 (sorry, I didn't realize there were so many variants of X libraries). However, I found an answer to my problem a few days before I left on vacation. I needed two different retrieval methods. One using the widget.core.popup_list[] array, and the other using the XtNchildren and XtNnumChildren attributes with the XtGetValues() function. This seemed to retrieve everything I needed in order to traverse a widget tree both forward and backward.

What I was doing was searching for a particular widget that existed in a particular widget tree from some given node in the middle of the tree. Of course, after doing all that work, about a day or two later, I discovered an even easier way to get what I wanted, using the XtNameToWidget() function. What I didn't realize at the time was that I had access to the top level widget and was able to use this function to traverse the entire tree starting at the top of the tree.