CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: No way to stop PC rebooting

I read all your posts...but that is the only way to keep it from turning on again. Unless you want to remove every other piece of hardware from your network.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Just a thought on Power on by PCI card. Isn't the USB bridge connected to PCI? Could it be the USB printer that wakes up the PC?

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Here's what you can do.

When you turn the machine off at night, turn off the power strip or surge protector.

Quote Originally Posted by S_M_A
    Could it be the USB printer that wakes up the PC?
    No. If it's a USB printer, then that means it would have to receive its commands from the machine that is turned off. Not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay
    When you turn the machine off at night, turn off the power strip or surge protector.
    Now, that idea is brilliant. Why didn't I think of that!

You could stick the machine's network into a network HUB rather than a switch and have another machine on the same hub running something like Wireshark. If something on the net is sending "wakeup" packets that cause the insomnia to your machine then you should be able to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by PeejAvery
    I read all your posts...but that is the only way to keep it from turning on again. Unless you want to remove every other piece of hardware from your network.
    Probably you are right, but I would like to understand why and I don't. If there is no other PCs on the LAN, why /who wakes it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay
    Here's what you can do.

No, it's not a brilliant idea. This PC is intended to be waked up without going into its room. If we turn off the power Wake up on LAN would be nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Edders
    You could stick the machine's network into a network HUB rather than a switch and have another machine on the same hub running something like Wireshark. If something on the net is sending "wakeup" packets that cause the insomnia to your machine then you should be able to see that.
    Will try. Thks.

No. If it's a USB printer, then that means it would have to receive its commands from the machine that is turned off. Not gonna happen.
    Unsure about understanding your point. As I see it, the USB printer (that's turned on) could send a message to the PC to wake it up. No?

The other only device active is a LAN printer ... could it be waking up the PC?

Will try stopping both printers.

Thks for all your answers. It could seem nonsense, but we would like to be able to wake up this PC in the morning ... and all we get is a never stoping PC!
    Last edited by DeepButi; June 11th, 2008 at 03:48 PM.
    Did it help? rate it.

The best conversation I had was over forty million years ago ... and that was with a coffee machine.

I find this really interesting, if only because I leave my machines on 24x7 for days, weeks, months on a regular basis, and NEVER set them to go to sleep.....

The power differential with hard drives spun down is fairly negligable.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Hm, I googled a bit and came up with this http://lists.olug.org/pipermail/olug...er/006399.html

If I get this right it actually seems like some motherboards can wakeup system from USB activity.

Think I have to try if my MB can do that. Then I just have to wiggle the mouse when I get home.
    Last edited by S_M_A; June 11th, 2008 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCPUWizard
    I find this really interesting, if only because I leave my machines on 24x7 for days, weeks, months on a regular basis, and NEVER set them to go to sleep.....

The power differential with hard drives spun down is fairly negligable.
    mmm ... interesting ...
    What worries me about letting unattended equipment on all night is the fire/electricity hazard, but maybe I will have to deal with that and let the PC on forever ... Will think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by S_M_A
    Hm, I googled a bit and came up with this http://lists.olug.org/pipermail/olu...ber/006399.html

If I get this right it actually seems like some motherboards can wakeup system from USB activity.

Think I have to try if my MB can do that. Then I just have to wiggle the mouse when I get home.
    Definitely it's not the USB printer ... when we disconnect the LAN cable, the PC doesn't wake up, if it was the USB printer, the PC would wake up.

So, will try the LAN printer ...

Thks (to be continued)
    Did it help? rate it.

The best conversation I had was over forty million years ago ... and that was with a coffee machine.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepButi
    Definitely it's not the USB printer ... when we disconnect the LAN cable, the PC doesn't wake up, if it was the USB printer, the PC would wake up.
    That's what I was saying with my previous post.

LAN is the only thing that can wake a computer up from sleep with the exception of physically removing USB from ports. The USB objects themselves (printer in this case), in order to wake a computer up, make have activity. Since the commands to USB come from the computer...and since the computer was asleep, the commands from the computer to the USB peripherals, would not be sent.

That being said, the only way that the LAN printer is going to wake up your computer is if it is being used constantly (receiving commands). Since you said your computer turns back on every 15-20 seconds, it is very unlikely that this is the case.

It is most likely, that you are looking for another computer, possibly computers, that are interacting with a network service running on your machine. Check your task manager and your services.

It is most likely, that you are looking for another computer, possibly computers, that are interacting with a network service running on your machine. Check your task manager and your services.
    I'm going to cry .

Let me put it clear: All PCs on the LAN are off. No task managers, no services anywere. Nothing on the LAN but:
    * the router
    * a hub
    * a LAN multifunction printer
    * an IP phone (just remembered that one!!!!)
    * the unstoppable PC

We shut down the unstoppable PC. It shuts down orderly. We don't breath for a while ... and hop! the PC wakes up .

Will continue to test ...
    Did it help? rate it.

I'm not talking about checking task manager on other machines. I mean, check your task manager on the computer that reboots. In order for it to turn back on, a network service must be initiated or referenced.

Why don't you post a screenshot of your current processes?

I'm not talking about checking task manager on other machines. I mean, check your task manager on the computer that reboots. In order for it to turn back on, a network service must be initiated or referenced.

Why don't you post a screenshot of your current processes?
    Ah .. I see. Ok, will do it when I can get all PCs off and this only one working (it's not easy! I have to wait until out of work time ).

But this would not be coherent with the PC not waking up when
    a) Wake on LAN disabled, or
    b) Wake on LAN enabled and LAN cable disconnected.

If something on the task manager wakes it up ... probably would do it regardless of WoL or cable status.

Anyway, will give it a try.

Thks
    Did it help? rate it.

Wait a second...I just made a dumb move. I was thinking you were putting the computer to sleep. If you are shutting it down, Windows Task Manager has nothing to do with it.

Wait a second...I just made a dumb move. I was thinking you were putting the computer to sleep. If you are shutting it down, Windows Task Manager has nothing to do with it.
    Yes, I am shuting it down. Total stop.
    And as now I can discard also the LAN printer ... (PC waked up with the LAN printer cable disconnected).
    Devices alive are now only a couple of IP phones!!!

Tomorrow I will check:
    a) disconnecting the IP phones
    b) let my laptop alive with Ethereal ... and let's see what happens!

Cannot believe it.
    Did it help? rate it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast