dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Weird IO Issue

Weird IO Issue

Hi all,

I feel pretty retarded that I need to post this, but I haven't used C++ in a long time. For some reason the following code will not read anythign from the specified file. I made sure, the file is opened.

#include "stdafx.h"
    #include <fstream>
    #include <string>

using namespace std;

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
    {
    string strInput;
    ifstream inf("su08_world1.dat");

while (!(inf.eof()))
    {

inf >> strInput;
    cout << strInput << endl;
    }
    system("PAUSE");

return 0;
    }

Any help will be appreciated.
    Marc

Re: Weird IO Issue

Are you sure the file is opened? (Because you didn't check in the code you posted.)

Try
    Code:
      string strInput;
      ifstream inf( "su08_world1.dat" );

if (!inf)
        cout << "fooey, the file didn't open!";
      else
        while (inf >> strInput)
          cout << strInput << endl;
    Hope this helps.

In my original code (which has the same problem), I did check the code. It is definetely open.

Thanks
    Marc

I commented out the first line and changed the main declaration so that I could compile it without stdafx.

If you happen to be using dev-cpp, you need to also include iostream for that line cout << strInput << endl;

When I added in an iostream inclusion and made myself a su08_world1.dat file, it worked fine.

That leads me to a question, does the program crash or does it just skip to the end with system("PAUSE")?
    You know you're a C++ Programmer when the first thought to come to mind when seeing 'std' is the namespace std, and the second thought is namespaces in general, the third thought being how to improve that program you're working on, and finally the fourth thought being sexually transmitted diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by std
    If you happen to be using dev-cpp, you need to also include iostream for that line cout << strInput << endl;
    It doesn't matter what compiler you use, you must include <iostream> to guarantee that code will compile that uses std::cout.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Ahh I had the hierarchy mixed up.
    You know you're a C++ Programmer when the first thought to come to mind when seeing 'std' is the namespace std, and the second thought is namespaces in general, the third thought being how to improve that program you're working on, and finally the fourth thought being sexually transmitted diseases.