dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Performance enhancement

Performance enhancement

Dear All,
    If someone tries to enhance the performance of the application. What would be the main focus areas of application? Which type of code can get maximum output? Can anyone will discuss about it?

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Performance enhancement

Define "performance" and "enhance".
    What kind of "application"?
    Victor Nijegorodov

Ok. Iím working on old VC++ application which is already in market. Client wants to enhance the application in terms of speed. Means I have to minimize the time taken in completing its task.

What kind of Application?
    What kind of "task"?
    Where is the bottle neck?
    Victor Nijegorodov

There is no 'magic' trick to speedup applications. The only thing you can do is debug the software and look for slow code and try to improve.

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Use a profiler. On Linux, just compile with the -gp flag, the run the program, then pass the dumped profiler file to gprof. It's a bit harder on Windows; not all versions of Visual Studio come with profiling capability, and I'm not entirely sure how to get human-readable information from those that do.

Yes,Iím facing this problem. Iím working in windows and application is a vc++ application. Even I donít know where the problem is and where I can enhance the performance of application. Do you suggest any tool or idea from your experience to get desired result? Actual code is very big and if I tried to read it line by line it will take months. Iím using some tools like processmon, filemon, hddmon, windbg to find out to get some information.

Unless and until you reply (at least for yourself) on the questions I asked, you won't get any idea what to improve.
    Try to understand (from the user side) which things/parts of App have/needs to be improved.
    Victor Nijegorodov

Talk to the users and try to find out what they think needs improvement. Narrow down the options. For example, is there a particular action that takes too long? Is it that the user interface is unresponsive? Does it take too long to start/save/load/connect? Each of these possible scenarios has a different solution.

Also - if the users have an issue with the responsiveness of the user interface then it is wasted time to improve the start-up speed of the program.

Ok. I understand. In this operation images are being copied to one folder and it takes long time to do it. You have any idea what are the possible reasons of it? Is there any other method for fasting this process?

If you can get hold of a profiler it will make your job so much easier. There are several on the market, but if you aren't looking to spend big bucks then I can recommend glowcode. It should show you which functions your application is spending most of its time in. Then you can look at the code of those functions and see if you can find some optimisations.

Without actually seeing your code, it is pretty hard to give you any kind of constructive answer - there could be an infinite number of reasons why it is taking ages to copy your images. Maybe you have a lot of very large images?
    s

If the issue is with copying of files then you may want to copy the same files through something like the Windows Explorer to see if that takes more/less/similar time to finish. This should then give you an indication to see if the issue is outside of your software. If your software takes considerably longer than explorer then there may be something you can do.

Yes I got you. Thanks for your help. Can you please give me some other profiler names?

Did you try to use /PROFILE (Enable Profiling) linker option?
    Victor Nijegorodov

There are a number of profilers on the market and newer, higher-level versions of Visual Studio have profiling as well. I was just talking with someont at RedGate about their Ants profiler.

Brad!

{edit: Fixed typo as indicated by TheCPUWIzard }
    Last edited by Brad Jones; June 24th, 2008 at 01:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast