CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Online Banking - Read Only Access to Information

Hey.

I am looking for information about some online banking. Basically just read-only access to an account (assuming I have all the credentials) for transactions etc... (basically just the history). As i understand there are some specifications that have to be followed etc....
    Exactly what documentation is important/should be read?

Thx in advance.

Re: Online Banking - Read Only Access to Information

Quote Originally Posted by Quell
    Hey.

I am looking for information about some online banking. Basically just read-only access to an account (assuming I have all the credentials) for transactions etc... (basically just the history). As i understand there are some specifications that have to be followed etc....
    Exactly what documentation is important/should be read?

Thx in advance.
    The documentation that is supplied by the specific financial institution. This will contain the appropriate references to the more general (standard) documents that apply.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Every online banking institution has completely different methods to access there online data, and some even change it on a regular basis, Contact the institution that you will be collection info from, Tell them what your planing to do, and see if thay will offer you the critical info needed...

TBH, I wont be surprised if the tecky on the other end just laughs and hangs up... Banking details are like gold, and no one will simply give you critical information on how to connect to them directly, no matter how innoccent your intentions are.

Some banks have several 3rd entry methods that are independant to your pc and the banks server, Like a One time Pin sent to your Celly. Or a digital key that generates a unique pin on request, that can be validated on the server..

Other sites use a Button pad to enter the pin or pass, using random number placements, and mouse click only methods.

Some use a randomised digit posiotion of the std pin method too.. IE. please enter only the 1st, 3rd & 7th digits of your pin...

All these methods are put in place to protect the end user from keyloggers, Chached logins etc, just to make sure that the current login is a Valid person, and not a hacker, or app looking to get lucky on a login...

Good luck with your quest, and i do wish you well, however this is one that i think is doomed before it starts...

Gremmy...
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Quote Originally Posted by GremlinSA
    Good luck with your quest, and i do wish you well, however this is one that i think is doomed before it starts...

Gremmy...
    Not doomed.....But I would not place any of my money on success either...

I got this information exactly TWICE. Both clients were financial information providers, highly rated. It still took major negotiations and large insurance deposits (escrow).
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first