CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[RESOLVED] Diamond Inheritance Problem - C#

This question is specific to C# not providing multiple inheritance unlike C++ and the need to go about using interfaces to implement multiple inheritance.

It’s about Multiple Inheritance and how to solve diamond Inheritance problem.

To begin with this is what my class design looks like, on a very high level.

struct DOB{
    int dd,mm,yy;
    }

class Player{
    string firstName,lastName;
    DOB dob;
    string debutPlace, homeTown;
    //a few methods and constructors also go into this class design
    }

class Batsman : Player{
    int runsScored, fiftyScored,hundredScored;
    float battingAverage;
    // a few methods and constructors are also part of this class
    }

class Bowler : Player{
    int oversBowled,wicketsTaken, runsGiven;
    float bowlingAverage;
    //a few methods and constructors are also part of this class
    }

Now I want to create a new class called AllRounder. Going by the real-time characteristics of this object, an AllRounder in cricket is someone who is both a batsman and a bowler. As such I would have to create the AllRounder Class which has both Batsman and Bowler as its base classes.

Here is where I am starting to face the problem.

I understand that C# does not support multiple inheritance, but then again Multiple Inheritance can be achieved using Interfaces. Now every book stops with just this and gives a simple example on the same, but I haven’t found a proper suggestion/solution to this problem of mine (I am told that the problem I am referring to, is named as Diamond Inheritance Problem)

Until I was playing around with C++, this wasn’t a problem at all for me, since C++ supports multiple inheritance and also because Diamond Inheritance problem was solved by C++ by the help of virtual inheritance, which helped me inherit just one copy of the Player class on to my AllRounder class (without having to worry about me getting a copy of the Player class attributes through both the Batsman class and the Bowler class which are to be the base classes of AllRounder class as per my class design)

All people to whom I have approached with this problem, said Interfaces is my solution. But I understand that interfaces can only contain method signatures and cannot contain any data members. Java is a little bit different on this, the interfaces in the world of java lets you have data members also, but there also comes a limitation, the data members can only be constants.

My entire class design is trying to map the real time entities and the way they are visualized into classes, but because of the fact that multiple inheritance is not supported, I am not able to proceed further.

Can someone please help me with this query ?

Re: Diamond Inheritance Problem - C#

Interfaces are just templates of what a part of a class should look like. It specifies the methods that can be seen by the outside world, it doesn't actually implement any code.
    So you have 2 interfaces IBowler and IBatsman. Then you create you 4 objects.
    Code:
    class Player { ... }
    class Bowler : Player, IBowler { ... }
    class Batsman : Player, IBatsman { ... }
    class AllRounder : Player, IBowler, IBatsman { ... }
    Inheriting from Player does actually give you data members and methods. Inheriting from the interfaces simply say that these specified methods exists. You will have to implement them each time for each object. Now when you are iterating over player objects, you can test to see if the player is an IBowler or IBatsman "object" AllRounder would be applicable to both.

Exclamation Re: Diamond Inheritance Problem - C#

Hi
    Thanks for the prompt reply.
    But the problem is since the interfaces (As highlighted by you) IBowler and IBatsman arent allowed to include any data members, how would I go about defining the specific attributes of a bowler class and a batsman class is what I am not very clear about.

Would it mean that I would have to revamp my class design and include all the attributes of a batsman and a bowler again in the class "AllRounder" ?

Wouldnt this be a redundancy of attributes while defining AllRounder class, because an allrounder class basically should include all attributes that a Player, Batsman and a Bowler possesses and also if needed add its own AllRounder specific attributes.

But if I were to declare something like this
    class AllRounder : Player, IBowler, IBatsman { ... }
    then I would essentially have to re-declare all the Bowler and Batsman attributes in the AllRounder class ?

Kindly clarify. Hope am not going round in circles seeking a clarification here.

I have understood your problem and I really liked the question you asked. I think you can not achieve what you want to using C#, with inheritance. But you can simulate a bit of similar behavior using composition. Your Allrounder class can contain and instance of Bowler and an instance of Batsman.

and by the way, where are the umpires and wicketkeeper :-)

You declare PROPERTIES.

btw: Fields should ALWAYS be private.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Arrow Re: Diamond Inheritance Problem - C#

Nabeel
    Thanks for the response. Yes I also had composition as a work around, but wanted to find out if C# does in fact have the same way of doing it, just as C++ lets me do. btw, since I got stuck at the AllRounder class itself, I gave up going further with the Umpire class and the fielders classes...

TheCPUWizard
    Thanks for your response. Can you please elaborate your response with respect to Properties ? Would be referring to including properties in the interfaces (IBowler and IBatsman) or would be referring to including properties in the AllRounder class. I do understand that interfaces does let me include properties, which can be implemented by the class that inherits the interface, but then again I would be back to square one, of a redundancy of attribute definition in the AllRounder class with respect to incorporating the Batsman attributes and Bowler attributes. Kindly clarify.

There is NO redundancy

Code:
    interface I1
    {
       int Data { get; set; }
    }

interface I2
    {
       int Data { get; set; }
    }

class C : I1, I2
    {
       public int Data
       {
           get {.....}
           set {.....}
       }
    }
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions

Question Re: Diamond Inheritance Problem - C#

TheCPUWizard

Hi, I guess you missed out a portion of my question here.

The redundancy that I am referring to in the piece of code provided by you, is with respect to class C

I have a class called "Vehicle". I have derived two classes out of "Vehicle" viz., "Aeroplane" and "Ship". Now I am looking to create a new class called "Hovercraft", by deriving from both "Aeroplane" and "Ship" classes, because I have visualised that an object of type "Hovercraft" would essentially have the features of both "Ship" and "Aeroplane". Now this is what C# doesnt let me do.
    Going by your explanation, I can go around creating interfaces for "Ship" and "Aeroplane" and have the class "Hovercraft" implement both these interfaces. But what happens to the data members of "Ship" class and "Aeroplane" class, which I am looking to inherit in "Hovercraft" class. Even though i define properties in the interfaces for "Ship" class and "Aeroplane" class, I still would have to define all the attributes of a "Ship" and an "Aeroplane" while I am creating a "Hovercraft".

I wanted to know if we had a way of getting this done just as in C++ wherein I can do a virtual inheritance and create "Hovercraft" from "Ship" and "Aeroplane" (Since both these base classes have a common base class "Vehicle" a virtual inheritance would be needed to do away with getting two copies of "Vehicle" attributes). I guess to do away with this is why C# got rid of Multiple Inheritance.

Kindly let me know if there is a way out of this ?

Simple YOU DONT. .NET supports only single inheritance, and you need to consider this from well before you write your code.

Using the sample classes you described, I would create specific classes for each function (NOT parth of the Vehicle hierarchy) [Start, Stop, CheckFuel]. Then you combine them in the leaf classes "Ship", "Plane" and "Hovercraft" to provide the comprehensive view of that type of vehicle.
    2008, 2009,2010

Lightbulb Re: Diamond Inheritance Problem - C#

TheCPUWizard

Thanks again for your response. I guess you mean to say that my class design(the example that I had initially mentioned when I started this thread) needs to be re-looked at and re-organized.

Am I correct ?

That is EXACTLY what I am saying.
    2008, 2009,2010

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna_matata
    TheCPUWizard

Hi, I guess you missed out a portion of my question here.

The redundancy that I am referring to in the piece of code provided by you, is with respect to class C

I have a class called "Vehicle". I have derived two classes out of "Vehicle" viz., "Aeroplane" and "Ship". Now I am looking to create a new class called "Hovercraft", by deriving from both "Aeroplane" and "Ship" classes, because I have visualised that an object of type "Hovercraft" would essentially have the features of both "Ship" and "Aeroplane". Now this is what C# doesnt let me do.
    Hovercraft are both Aeroplanes and Ships? Well that's an interesting, if flawed assertion.

I think however your basic approach to the English grammar is flawed. In java, we have the very sensible notion that interfaces represent abilities (actions, verbs) not objects (nouns, stuff)

Aeroplane: IFlyable
    Ship: ISailable
    Hovercraft: IFlyable, ISailable

A hovercraft is not an Aeroplane and it is not a Ship. It is, strictly speaking more of a helicopter than anything else.. It does not plane on the air or the water, but relies on forced air to reduce friction with the resting surface. No matter, here we are talking about interfaces representing abilities, not objects

Going by your explanation, I can go around creating interfaces for "Ship" and "Aeroplane" and have the class "Hovercraft" implement both these interfaces. But what happens to the data members of "Ship" class and "Aeroplane" class, which I am looking to inherit in "Hovercraft" class. Even though i define properties in the interfaces for "Ship" class and "Aeroplane" class, I still would have to define all the attributes of a "Ship" and an "Aeroplane" while I am creating a "Hovercraft".
    True, because a hovercraft is not aship and it is not an aeroplane, so why should it inherit?

I wanted to know if we had a way of getting this done just as in C++
    Yes. Use C++ if you think it will make your program better

Kindly let me know if there is a way out of this ?
    Get typing code, not posts
    "it's a fax from your dog, Mr Dansworth. It looks like your cat" - Gary Larson...DW1: Data Walkthroughs 1.1...DW2: Data Walkthroughs 2.0...DDS: The DataSet Designer Surface...ANO: ADO.NET2 Orientation...DAN: Deeper ADO.NET...DNU...PQ

Quote Originally Posted by cjard
    I think however your basic approach to the English grammar is flawed. In java, we have the very sensible notion that interfaces represent abilities (actions, verbs) not objects (nouns, stuff)

Aeroplane: IFlyable
    Ship: ISailable
    Hovercraft: IFlyable, ISailable
    It is more the naming of the interface (...able) that indicates ability/action/verb. And this is a good thing.

The difference between an interface and a class REALLY is that the former has absolutely NO implementation details, while the latter has some or all of the implementation details.

The first example I can think are the collections:

IList/List, IDictionary/Dictionart, etc...

The differentiation between "static/state" and "action/operation" is at a more granular level:
    Method = Ability/Action/Verb
    Property = Adjective
    2008, 2009,2010

Smile Re: Diamond Inheritance Problem - C#

A hovercraft is not an Aeroplane and it is not a Ship. It is, strictly speaking more of a helicopter than anything else.. It does not plane on the air or the water, but relies on forced air to reduce friction with the resting surface.
    Thanks for your elaborate explanation. I guess I got you too involved in my example and made you miss the idea behind my question which was originally "How to achieve multiple inheritance using Interfaces for a specific class design I had in mind"

Hovercraft are both Aeroplanes and Ships? Well that's an interesting, if flawed assertion.
    If you could kindly go back to my first posting, you might notice that the class hierarchy that I had in mind, it replicates the exact real entity objects in the sport of cricket.
    Yes. Use C++ if you think it will make your program better
    If I were to be having it done in C++, then I guess I wouldnt be exploring the possibilities in C#. When someone is learning a new language, its only a human tendancy to try and relate to what they already know and see if its the same in the new one or if its different.

Get typing code, not posts
    sure thing.. thanks for the suggestion...discussion forums I thought were places wherein you could get answers to your questions, which was why I sought help here.. !! And I guess in forums, you post not code, to seek answers !!
    Maybe I was wrong !! Anyways... !!!

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna_matata
    When someone is learning a new language, its only a human tendancy to try and relate to what they already know and see if its the same in the new one or if its different
    This is one of the biggest pitfalls in going from one language to a comletely different one that has similar (but distinctly different) usage.

There is alot of very good C++ code, that you can copy over to C# and it will compile and run. However it will be very bad code.

When I train people in .NET I avoid this by always training C++ programmers in VB.NET and VB 6.0 programmers in C#. This helps break the habits of the old language.

Consider the following:
    Code:
    class MyClass
    {
         public MyClass(int x) { m_x = x}
         ~MyClass() {}
         public int Calc(int y) { return m_x = y; }
         private int m_x;
    }
    There is a MAJOR flaw in this class that will cripple system performance (slowing it down by up to a factor of 10!). However I see exactly this type of construct in code written by people that learn C++.

I strongly recommend that you make a concerted attempt to FORGET (or at least IGNORE) EVERYTHING you know about C++. Get a good C# book and start from scratch just as if you have never programmed before.

The primary reason (in my professional experience as a consultant) that many .NET applications have poor performance is directly attributable to developers bringing over patterns and practices that served them well in their previous environment, but have absolutely no place in .NET
    2008, 2009,2010

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast