CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Difficulties Using STL sort on Array of Objects

My goal was to sort a list of outputted vectors by length. I ended up trying to do this by creating a simple class that stored the vector, and the length of the vector. I then overloaded the < operator so that I could use the STL sort function. I had all kind of problems. I was able to make them go away when I stopped using dynamic allocation (dynamic allocation was used so that the vectors were d-dimensional, I then fixed their dimension at 3). I have attached the code that uses dynamic allocation (note that I have fixed the dimension at 3 for simplicity), and hence doesn't work. All that's required to get my code to work is to change the statement in dBallMember.h from int* vector to int vector[3] and removing all new and delete statements as appropriate. I just don't understand what I haven't done right. Help?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Difficulties Using STL sort on Array of Objects

oh PS if you actually want to try and compile this, there is another function called increment that you will need, I didn't post it because it along with its header file exceeded the 5 file limit, but I can post it on request. Increment just moves along from one d-dimensional vector with a maximum length of R to the next in a methodical fashion so that all of them are swept over.

First quick look.
    Code:
    int* vector;
    Vector is a bad name for a variable as the STL already contains a template std::vector.

You will find your code easier to get right if you try using std::vector instead of arrays (dynamic or not).

Also using vector means you don't have to write your on assignment operator (Note: your class was missing a copy constructor)
    Last edited by JohnW@Wessex; July 28th, 2008 at 03:30 AM.
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong."
    Richard P. Feynman

It was actually the copy constructor that was the problem... to be honest I'm largely self taught in the actual syntax of C++ (the courses I've had focused on algorithms in-class, so the instructor never really talked about syntax) and I didn't know what a copy constructor was until I was talking with a friend about this and they happened to mention a copy constructor... I was in shock (and then furious since I've wasted 6+ hours playing around with various new and delete statements in my code even though nothing was wrong with it). Thanks for your help though, I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nirf
    I was in shock (and then furious since I've wasted 6+ hours playing around with various new and delete statements in my code even though nothing was wrong with it). Thanks for your help though, I appreciate it!
    So my suggestion would be to minimize/not use new and delete and if you really have to, there are smart pointers to leverage which also help in class copy constructor and assignment operators.

Here is a good start.