Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Editing Text in a DataGridViewComboBoxColumn

That is good news! Great work guys!
    This was real fun for me!

Me too
    Visual Basic 2005 ver. 8.0.50727.867

Glad it worked (I love it when something you program blind works, but I couldn't be bothered to switch between solutions

You know, it wouldn't be far from the code we've got here to an extended DataGridView control where this was the default behaviour from all columns...

Well, I've got nothing else to do this evening...
    Help from me is always guaranteed!*
    VB.NET code is made up on the spot with VS2008 Professional with .NET 3.5. Everything else is just made up on the spot.
    Please Remember to rate posts, use code tags, send me money and all the other things listed in the "Before you post" posts.

*Guarantee may not be honoured.

LOL - good luck!!!

right got wife's brother's wedding tomorrow so going for drinks with the Groom for his last night of freedom

Have a good wekend everyone

I had a go - the coding worked out simple. It compiles, but it crashes when you try and run a form with one on. Works fine on the designer, and it generates no debug data, so I'm stumped...
    Code:
    Public Class DataGridView2
            Inherits Windows.Forms.DataGridView

Private Debounce As Boolean

Private Sub mCellValidating(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellValidatingEventArgs) Handles MyBase.CellValidating
                    If Debounce Then
                            Debounce = False
                    Else
                            If TypeOf (Me.Columns(e.ColumnIndex)) Is DataGridViewComboBoxColumn Then
                                    Dim comboBoxColumn As DataGridViewComboBoxColumn = CType(Me.Columns(e.ColumnIndex), DataGridViewComboBoxColumn)
                                    If (Not comboBoxColumn.Items.Contains(e.FormattedValue)) Then
                                            comboBoxColumn.Items.Add(e.FormattedValue)
                                            Me.Rows(e.RowIndex).Cells(e.ColumnIndex).Value = comboBoxColumn.Items(comboBoxColumn.Items.Count - 1)
                                    End If
                            End If
                    End If
            End Sub

Private Sub mColumnAdded(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewColumnEventArgs) Handles MyBase.ColumnAdded
                    Debounce = True
            End Sub

Private Sub DataGridView2_EditingControlShowing(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewEditingControlShowingEventArgs) Handles MyBase.EditingControlShowing
                    If TypeOf (MyBase.Columns(MyBase.CurrentCell.ColumnIndex)) Is DataGridViewComboBoxColumn Then
                            Dim cb As ComboBox = CType(e.Control, ComboBox)
                            If (cb IsNot Nothing) Then
                                    cb.DropDownStyle = ComboBoxStyle.DropDown
                            End If
                    End If
            End Sub
    End Class
    VB.NET code is made up on the spot with VS2008 Professional with .NET 3.5. Everything else is just made up on the spot.
    Please Remember to rate posts, use code tags, send me money and all the other things listed in the "Before you post" posts.

Good morning!

This is what I did, javajawa :
    I created a Class Library called DGVNew, the code looks like :
    Code:
    Imports System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView
    Public Class DGVNew
        Inherits System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView

Private Debounce As Boolean

Private Sub DGVNew(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellValidatingEventArgs) Handles MyBase.CellValidating
            If Debounce Then
                Debounce = False
            Else
                If TypeOf (Me.Columns(e.ColumnIndex)) Is System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewComboBoxColumn Then
                    Dim comboBoxColumn As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewComboBoxColumn = CType(Me.Columns(e.ColumnIndex), System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewComboBoxColumn)
                    If (Not comboBoxColumn.Items.Contains(e.FormattedValue)) Then
                        comboBoxColumn.Items.Add(e.FormattedValue)
                        Me.Rows(e.RowIndex).Cells(e.ColumnIndex).Value = comboBoxColumn.Items(comboBoxColumn.Items.Count - 1)
                    End If
                End If
            End If
        End Sub

Private Sub DGVNew(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewColumnEventArgs) Handles MyBase.ColumnAdded
            Debounce = True
        End Sub

Private Sub DGVNew_EditingControlShowing(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewEditingControlShowingEventArgs) Handles MyBase.EditingControlShowing
            If TypeOf (MyBase.Columns(MyBase.CurrentCell.ColumnIndex)) Is System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewComboBoxColumn Then
                Dim cb As System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox = CType(e.Control, System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox)
                If (cb IsNot Nothing) Then
                    cb.DropDownStyle = System.Windows.Forms.ComboBoxStyle.DropDown
                End If
            End If
        End Sub

End Class
    Just had to reference System.Windows.Forms etc.

I Built DGVNew, in order to get the DLL.
    Then, I created a separate project called DGVReplacement. I added the DGVNew.dll to the Toolbox, and added the following code :
    Code:
    Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
            Dim PenaltyColumn As New DataGridViewComboBoxColumn()

With PenaltyColumn
                .DataPropertyName = "Penalty"
                .HeaderText = "Penalty"
                .DropDownWidth = 160
                .Width = 90
                .MaxDropDownItems = 3
                .FlatStyle = FlatStyle.Flat
                .Items.Add("1")
                .Items.Add("11")

End With
            DgvNew1.Columns.Add(PenaltyColumn)
        End Sub
    End Class
    It works perfectly, I've been testing it for some time now, and I haven't had any problems with it

Should I include them in a zip ( note it's in 2005, as I have 2008 only at home )

Wouldn't mind the zip. My glitch probably came from the fact that I didn't bother with new projects, but just tore into the designer of the one I'd be using for this before. I probably made some mistake in there...

Here is the zip

I hope it helps!
    Last edited by HanneSThEGreaT; June 14th, 2010 at 05:39 AM.

Found the issue - when I changed the designers, I forgot that it CTypes everything to call BeginInit(), so it was CTypeing to the old version. Plus Debugger was told not to show me that bit (there should be some options to turn that off by default. You can get so much fine tuning out of the designer...)

Glad you got it solved!!

Done some work on it - it now validates when you click elsewhere, or if you press enter. I can't work out why I need to do them sperately, but it works (surprisingly enough).

I love pointless class design...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Any objections on me setting up an FAQ covering DataGridViewComboboxColumns ( all these things we recenty did ) ¿

Or even on some of the fun things you can do with DGVs generally? LOL

Hi HannesTheGreat

Sounds good to me!!

Editing Text in a DataGridViewComboBoxColumn

hi all.

i hav added a datagricview into winform. i hav added 2 combobx column into that datagrid view.
    when i click the firsr combox column the second combobox column value should changed

this is m y reqiurment was. my first combox column is Itemid and second combobx column is Itemdescription.

as my reqirment when i chaged the itemid column the second column itemdescription should be changed.

some one pls help mw for this.

thnxs.
    Rishad...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12