CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Editing Text in a DataGridViewComboBoxColumn

Hi guys it's me again!

I have a bit of a dilemma - in the ComboBoxColumn, I have added various numbers from 0 to 11. I need people to be able to type into the ComboBoxes in that column if the Combobox doesn't contain a value they need.

I realise that I have to change the ComboBoxStyle to DropDown but am not sure how to. Also, for each row in the ComboBox, I believe I have to add the item that the user typed to the ComboBox list items for it to save but am also unsure how to do it.

Any ideas?

Cheers
    Visual Basic 2005 ver. 8.0.50727.867

Re: Editing Text in a DataGridViewComboBoxColumn

Right, I now have the ComboBoxStyle changed to DropDown which allows the user to type into the combobox using the following:
    Code:
        Private Sub DataGridView1_EditingControlShowing(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewEditingControlShowingEventArgs) Handles DataGridView1.EditingControlShowing
            If DataGridView1.CurrentCellAddress.X = Description.Index Then
                Dim cbo As ComboBox = CType(e.Control, ComboBox)
                cbo.DropDownStyle = ComboBoxStyle.DropDown
            End If
        End Sub
    All I need now is each time the user changes to the next ComboBox in the column, the text typed into the previous one is saved into that list. Would something like this code I found on the net be along the right lines?:
    Code:
    Public Sub DataGridView1_CellValidating(ByVal e As DataGridViewCellValidatingEventArgs)
            ' Adds typed text to the ComboBox items
            Dim comboBoxColumn As DataGridViewComboBoxColumn
            If (e.ColumnIndex = comboBoxColumn.Index) Then
                If (comboBoxColumn.Items.Contains(e.FormattedValue)) Then
                    comboBoxColumn.Items.Add(e.FormattedValue)
                End If
            End If
        End Sub
    It doesn't seem to do anything though!

Anyone?
    Last edited by brjames32; July 31st, 2008 at 05:59 AM.

Hello Again!
    My solution to this would go something like this (after adding a "New" option to the combobox; also, I'm not using the proper table, so the column index and things may need changing)
    Code:
            Private Sub DataGridView1_CellValueChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellEventArgs) Handles DataGridView1.CellValueChanged
                    If e.ColumnIndex = 3 Then
                            If DataGridView1.Rows(e.RowIndex).Cells(e.ColumnIndex).Value.ToString() = "New" Then
                                    Dim ComboCol As DataGridViewComboBoxColumn = CType(DataGridView1.Columns(3), DataGridViewComboBoxColumn)
                                    ComboCol.Items.Insert(ComboCol.Items.Count - 1, InputBox("New Item"))
                                    DataGridView1.Rows(e.RowIndex).Cells(e.ColumnIndex).Value = ComboCol.Items(ComboCol.Items.Count - 2)
                            End If
                    End If
            End Sub
    You can even save added values, as DataGridViewComboBoxColumn is a valid datatype for the My.Settings object
    Last edited by javajawa; July 31st, 2008 at 06:18 AM.
    Help from me is always guaranteed!*
    VB.NET code is made up on the spot with VS2008 Professional with .NET 3.5. Everything else is just made up on the spot.
    Please Remember to rate posts, use code tags, send me money and all the other things listed in the "Before you post" posts.

*Guarantee may not be honoured.

Hiya

Cheers for that - will give it a go and let ya know how I get on!

That is definitely more along the lines!

What I really need it to be able to do though is when the user clicks on the combobox cell, they should be able to type into it and that value should be saved instead of having to type into an input box if that is possible?

Perhaps if you could use the DataGridView's EditingControlShowing event ¿ something like this :
    Code:
        Private Sub DataGridView1_EditingControlShowing(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewEditingControlShowingEventArgs) Handles DataGridView1.EditingControlShowing
            If TypeOf e.Control Is ComboBox Then
                Dim cb As ComboBox = TryCast(e.Control, ComboBox)
                cb.DropDownStyle = ComboBoxStyle.DropDown
                cb.Items.Insert(cb.Items.Count - 1, cb.Text)
            End If
        End Sub
    This allows you to type a value into that particular cell. It may not be 100% complete, but will put you on the right track

Hi Hannes thanks for the reply. It's quite similar to the code I have in my 1st post above but will give it a go and let you know how I get on!

I have it!!! Yes! I'm just as excited as you!

This is what you must do, we both were on the right track!
    Do this :
    Code:
        Private Sub DataGridView1_CellValidating(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellValidatingEventArgs) Handles DataGridView1.CellValidating
            If coladd Then
                Dim comboBoxColumn As DataGridViewComboBoxColumn = DataGridView1.Columns(6) 
                If (e.ColumnIndex = comboBoxColumn.DisplayIndex) Then
                    If (Not comboBoxColumn.Items.Contains(e.FormattedValue)) Then
                    End If
                End If
            End If
        End Sub

Dim comboBoxColumn As DataGridViewComboBoxColumn = DataGridView1.Columns(6)
            If (DataGridView1.CurrentCellAddress.X = comboBoxColumn.DisplayIndex) Then
                Dim cb As ComboBox = e.Control
                If (cb IsNot Nothing) Then
                End If
            End If
        End Sub
    You must just please add a variable called coladd at the top, like :
    Code:
        Dim coladd As Boolean
    Else, it will throw an error in your CellValidating event.

try this now, and see if it also works for you

Ah, we need to set the coladd to true after adding the PenaltyColumn, like this :
    Code:
     Dim PenaltyColumn As New DataGridViewComboBoxColumn()

With PenaltyColumn
                .DataPropertyName = "Penalty"
                .HeaderText = "Penalty"
                .DropDownWidth = 160
                .Width = 90
                .MaxDropDownItems = 3
                .FlatStyle = FlatStyle.Flat
                .Items.Add("1")
                .Items.Add("11")

End With
            DataGridView1.Columns.Add(PenaltyColumn)
            coladd = True
    This prevents the conversion error. The Cellvalidating event does fire at the form's startup as well, so this ensures we have the penalty column - then test.

Sorry, I forgot to mention it in my previous post, I got too excited!

I've just tried you wonderful code - it's brilliant, apart from (on this machine, at least) the value is cleared. So I changed the code to:
    Code:
            Private Sub DataGridView1_CellValidating(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellValidatingEventArgs) Handles DataGridView1.CellValidating
                    If ColAdd Then
                            Dim comboBoxColumn As DataGridViewComboBoxColumn = CType(DataGridView1.Columns(6), DataGridViewComboBoxColumn)
                                            DataGridView1.Rows(e.RowIndex).Cells(e.ColumnIndex).Value = comboBoxColumn.Items(comboBoxColumn.Items.Count - 1)
                                    End If
                            End If
                    End If
            End Sub
    Oh, I've got Option Strict on, so everything is CTyped
    VB.NET code is made up on the spot with VS2008 Professional with .NET 3.5. Everything else is just made up on the spot.
    Please Remember to rate posts, use code tags, send me money and all the other things listed in the "Before you post" posts.

LOL - brilliant cheers Hannes will try it out now

Cool Re: Editing Text in a DataGridViewComboBoxColumn

Quote Originally Posted by javajawa
    I've just tried you wonderful code - it's brilliant, apart from (on this machine, at least) the value is cleared. So I changed the code to:
    Code:
                    If ColAdd Then
                            Dim comboBoxColumn As DataGridViewComboBoxColumn = CType(DataGridView1.Columns(6), DataGridViewComboBoxColumn)
                                            DataGridView1.Rows(e.RowIndex).Cells(e.ColumnIndex).Value = comboBoxColumn.Items(comboBoxColumn.Items.Count - 1)
                                    End If
                            End If
                    End If
            End Sub
    Oh, I've got Option Strict on, so everything is CTyped
    Cool code!
    Let me update mine to reflect that as well.

That code works great cheers for the help! One last thing - the penalty column is fine so changed the column number to 10. I also need to do the same for column 11 so how can i get the code working for both columns?

Cheers

Voila!
    Code:
                    If ColAdd Then
                            If (e.ColumnIndex = DataGridView1.Columns(10).DisplayIndex) Then
                                    Dim comboBoxColumn As DataGridViewComboBoxColumn = CType(DataGridView1.Columns(10), DataGridViewComboBoxColumn)
                                    End If
                            ElseIf (e.ColumnIndex = DataGridView1.Columns(11).DisplayIndex) Then
                                    Dim comboBoxColumn As DataGridViewComboBoxColumn = CType(DataGridView1.Columns(11), DataGridViewComboBoxColumn)
                                    End If
                            End If
                    End If
            End Sub

If (DataGridView1.CurrentCellAddress.X = DataGridView1.Columns(10).DisplayIndex) Then
                            Dim cb As ComboBox = CType(e.Control, ComboBox)
                            End If
                    ElseIf (DataGridView1.CurrentCellAddress.X = DataGridView1.Columns(11).DisplayIndex) Then
                            Dim cb As ComboBox = CType(e.Control, ComboBox)
                            End If
                    End If
            End Sub
    This is set for columns 10 and 11, ad can be extended to any number of columns by copying the code as I hope should be obvious
    Last edited by javajawa; July 31st, 2008 at 09:58 AM.

That's great - cheers for that. Trying it out now . . . .

Yep - that's great fellas cheers once again for the help
    Last edited by brjames32; July 31st, 2008 at 10:51 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast