dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Connect Oracle DB from C# Winform

Connect Oracle DB from C# Winform

I've window app (wrote by c#), DB is located on Server and App is located on Client. but client must to installed Oracle client so app can connect to db.

Is there any solution that no need to install Oracle Client (full) on Client machine (Such as, with MS SQL Server, you need install .net framework only).

Anyone can give me suggestion.

Thanks & Regards!
    Last edited by blackholevn; July 31st, 2008 at 05:34 AM.

Re: Connect Oracle DB from C# Winform

nope. you need the client installed so you can have the System.Data.OracleClient class for the Oracle connection.

"Recently Microsoft released a .NET Framework Data Provider for Oracle. No longer do we have to use the generic OleDb driver! You can download the free Oracle driver at http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/downlo...mpositedoc.xml .

This provider can be used instead of the OleDb provider, delivering a native interface for Oracle. Microsoft has reported that, in certain cases the performance of this specialized driver can exceed the generic OleDb driver by up to 200%! For information on making your .NET applications work faster and more efficiently with Oracle databases, be sure to read Greg Leake's article, Using .NET Framework Data Provider for Oracle to Improve .NET Application Performance.

The Oracle data provider supports all Oracle 9i data types and ref cursors of Oracle stored procedures which return result sets. One important note: Oracle 8i Release 3 (8.1.7) Client or later must be installed on the Web server for this provider to function properly. "

though they are referring to an ASP.Net application, the same is true for a windows client(win form) that needs to connect to an Oracle DB.

Only solution is to use application server, which stands between client and DB server. Look at multi tier architecture.
    • Make it run.
    • Make it right.
    • Make it fast.

Don't hesitate to rate my post.

Quote Originally Posted by boudino
    Only solution is to use application server, which stands between client and DB server. Look at multi tier architecture.
    agreed. I guess I should change my previous post. You need to install the Oracle client somewhere, but it doesn't necessarily need to be on the client PC. One of my current projects uses a Web Service to do the Oracle connection, and the Client PCs make the Web Service calls, and the Oracle Client is installed on the server where the Web Service is running.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsed4utoo
    "Recently Microsoft released a .NET Framework Data Provider for Oracle.
    "Recently" ?

I've been using the .NET Oracle provider since 2003. Please define "Recently"
    "it's a fax from your dog, Mr Dansworth. It looks like your cat" - Gary Larson...DW1: Data Walkthroughs 1.1...DW2: Data Walkthroughs 2.0...DDS: The DataSet Designer Surface...ANO: ADO.NET2 Orientation...DAN: Deeper ADO.NET...DNU...PQ

Quote Originally Posted by cjard
    "Recently" ?

I've been using the .NET Oracle provider since 2003. Please define "Recently"
    common knowledge would tell you that when somebody puts quotation marks around a block of text, it means that it was copied from another site. my bad for not posting a link to the site to make it more clearer.