CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

George2 is offline Elite Member Power Poster

merge proxy/stub code in ATL server

Hello everyone,

What is the scene behind the option of merge proxy/stub code in ATL project? My confusion is, COM (in-process server) is a DLL, proxy is another DLL normally, how could two DLLs be merged into one DLL?

thanks in advance,
    George

Re: merge proxy/stub code in ATL server

And what is the problem with that? COM server has some DLL interface (interface in its common understanding but not COM interface), and proxy has some DLL interface. Both interfaces never intersect. What would be the problem with merging two distinct and independent pieces of code with totally different interfaces into a single library module?
    Best regards,
    Igor

Thanks Igor!

I have made some study. Sorry that I think my bad description before makes your confused. English is not my native language. Let me present my understandings again in different statements here.

Could you help to review whether my following understandings are correct?

1. when using merge option in ATL, only one DLL file will be generated, and it will be registered under both original coclass CLSID and the IID mapped proxy CLSID;

2. when not using merge option in ATL, two DLLs will be generated, one for original coclass object and the other for the proxy object, and they are registered separately under original coclass CLSID/ and the IID mapped proxy CLSID.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Vartanov
    And what is the problem with that? COM server has some DLL interface (interface in its common understanding but not COM interface), and proxy has some DLL interface. Both interfaces never intersect. What would be the problem with merging two distinct and independent pieces of code with totally different interfaces into a single library module?

regards,
    George

George, do you have a Visual Studio installed? Just create two similar ATL COM dll projects being making them different in 'merge proxy/stub' and do your own investigations and make your own conclusions. Maybe finally you will find this process more interesting than asking around for reviewing of your theories.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Thanks Igor,

Post #3 is what I found, but I am not quite confident, since I donot program with ATL for 3 months and COM is something easy to forget if not practise frequently.

Just want to confirm with Gurus like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Vartanov
    George, do you have a Visual Studio installed? Just create two similar ATL COM dll projects being making them different in 'merge proxy/stub' and do your own investigations and make your own conclusions. Maybe finally you will find this process more interesting than asking around for reviewing of your theories.

regards,
    George

I donot program with ATL for 3 months and COM is something easy to forget if not practise frequently.
    Okay, bad luck for you then. I do not advise/confirm on theoretical contemplations.
    Best regards,
    Igor